The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: The Voynich Manuscript
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
A slightly more detailed announcement of the book:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Edited by Raymond Clemens; With an Introduction by Deborah Harkness

From Yale University Press
Heh, that's the first thing I hear about that. Is anything known about what we can expect? 

Edit - oh, it's the facsimile edition, I see now. I thought it was just essays. I bet they won't say many new things in those...
(24-06-2016, 07:10 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.A slightly more detailed announcement of the book:

Already pre-ordered mine Smile
Koen,

Nice looking volume. Let's hope the introduction and essays adds something to our knowledge - perhaps about the codicology and palaeography.

The blurb suggests that the "history" is the same old, same old..  but there is a promise of essays.

Unfortunate that they don't include a list of those essays and their authors. After all, that's the only part of the volume likely to attract scholars.

I do hope they haven't just re-hashed the old "Rudolf-owned-it-" stuff.  To still say that the plants are 'otherworldly' is rather depressing reading.

I rather think that the publisher for my own book-in-progress is likely to find a fair number of my original discoveries in a 're-hash without attribution' version in the way so very, very common in Voynich studies since .. whenever.. that he'll have another apoplectic fit.

I've asked Yale to send me a copy of the Table of Contents in advance.  More news as it comes to hand.

But I'm guessing that the "history" will be dressed up theory, poorly researched, poorly proven, and basically little more than flummery of the "Rudolf owned it and its about baths and tubes" sort.  Depressing thought.
Quote:But I'm guessing that the "history" will be dressed up theory, poorly researched, poorly proven, and basically little more than flummery of the "Rudolf owned it and its about baths and tubes" sort.  Depressing thought.

That's what I thought as well. I always get the impression that Beinecke is more interested in showing off the sphinx than in answering its riddles.
Please keep this thread on topic, only discussion of this book is permitted here.
I pre-ordered the book on Amazon when I hear of it from Rene.
I just received an email that announce that the new estimated delivery date is: Monday, October 24, 2016
Only three weeks! Exciting! Smile
(24-06-2016, 07:10 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.A slightly more detailed announcement of the book:

I'm probably not going to order it since I created my own facsimile on a high-end super-nice-quality laser printer and it's more than I need (I spend more time looking at screen versions) but... I appreciate being kept informed and who knows... I might change my mind.   Shy
My order still says mid December for arrival!  Confused don't give any plot spoilers away before it arrives for me  Smile
(03-10-2016, 06:54 AM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.My order still says mid December for arrival!  Confused don't give any plot spoilers away before it arrives for me  Smile

Hi David,
check here:
In the box on the right, it says In stock on October 5, 2016!

@JKP, while I don't have a print of the manuscript, what I am excited about are the essays. Academic discussions of the alchemical and cryptographic elements will certainly be useful to me Smile
The essays that accompany the manuscript explain what we have learned about this work—from alchemical, cryptographic, forensic, and historical perspectives...
Pages: 1 2 3