The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Short list of questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

as announced in the Ideas of a newbie thread I have a short list of questions I would like to know the answers to (if they're available). I saw the Questions subforum is meant for questions to experts and allow for 1 question per topic. That seems a bit too much and my questions will not need expert level experience, I guess.

1 - It has been written on Wikipedia "The basins and tubes in the "biological" section are sometimes interpreted as implying a connection to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., yet bear little obvious resemblance to the alchemical equipment of the period." but this is without citation. Does anyone have a reliable source to include that solves the question "bear little resemblance to alchemical equipment" for the tubes in the Biological section of the VMS?
2 - I have been looking around to find an answer to this (maybe René Zandbergen knows); what is the thickness (on average) of the vellum? I have found a link to the Carbon Dating page of Zandbergen that says "some folios are thicker than others", but how thick is vellum in general and the VMS vellum in particular?
3 - related to this; the paint of all the plants and other coloured drawings is pressing through the vellum which makes the VMS look pretty ugly. That doesn't seem normal for manuscripts of the 15th century or is it? Has that to do with the type of paint used, the vellum (thickness?), both or something else?

Many thanks in advance!

Tisquesusa