The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: The enigmatic Sun (the Rosettes folio) and astrology
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some time ago I raised the issue of the hidden notes in the Voynich manuscript. I think, not all of them were correctly identified by me, as well, some of them are quite doubtful. But, at the same time, a part of my finds are still topical, on my view. Moreover, they could clarify some points.
I tried to make these notes visible again and hope for, at least, little success in this, but, even, if you don't see them, I need a consultation in astrological/astronomical terminology.
Every one of us knows such terms in Geometry as "straight line" and "cut line", in Latin – "linea recta" and "linea secta" (or, sometimes, "absecta"). Unfortunately, I know nothing about their meaning in astrology/astronomy, i. e. what point particularly they reflect. Could such data show something important in the VMs?
From the "Joannis Kepleri astronomi opera omnia" (v. 6):
[attachment=387]
Actually, the matter is about the fragment of the Rosettes folio, the low right corner. I see there notes "Absecta" and "Recta", as well, two depictions of the "bird-glyph". Also, I suspect there are two other notes which I’m not able to interpret exactly. The first one may be: “Siste mot”, or “siste sol”, or “Abs mot”, or “Abs sol”, or “Stati mot”; the second  is most problematic, it is too illegible, but I think, it still presents. The one of likely variants for it is the word “You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.” (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.), as the most possible in this case, on my opinion.
I’d like to pay attention  that the words “Absecta” and “Recta” are written with the same ligature Ct, all the notes are written in the same direction with moderate deviation.
There is three points between “absecta” and “recta”, which form right angle.
Of course, these data won’t help anyway without numerical information, so I still think that the rays of the “Sun” contain numbers 154 and 6.
[attachment=388]
I’ll be glad to know an opinion of astronomers and astrologers.
Ask me, If you need a copy in larger resolution. I can send it personally.
Searcher
You can link to the Beinecke library's high-res scans
The list of the new scans is here:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

To cross-check the folio number with the SCAN ID, you'll probably need to go to the Beinecke library site where the ID number for each scans is shown, folio by folio below the picture.

It's a nuisance, and time consuming to have to cross-check like that and one of these days someone might publish here a concordance - if it has been done already, the persons who have done haven't shared it here - yet.   Smile
(26-06-2016, 01:56 PM)Diane Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Searcher
You can link to the Beinecke library's high-res scans
The list of the new scans is here:

To cross-check the folio number with the SCAN ID, you'll probably need to go to the Beinecke library site where the ID number for each scans is shown, folio by folio below the picture.  

It's a nuisance, and time consuming to have to cross-check like that and one of these days someone might publish here a concordance - if it has been done already, the persons who have done haven't shared it here - yet.   Smile

Diane
To be honest, I'm not sure that someone will see this, as no one saw it earlier, as much as the word You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.  a little below, and, I think, majority doesn't believe in this.  So, my question is rather hypothetical here, at least, I wanted everyone to consider it just so in this case.
This question - "Could such data ( absecta (cut line), recta (straight line), 154, 6 and the rest supposed information) show something important in the VMs, some coordinates, date etc.?
Actually, these notes are less visible on the new Beinecke scan (1006231), perhaps, since a camera was more focused on the opposite side (with the "T/O map"), which was less clear earlier. On this reason I use the previous copy studying this fragment. 
Searcher,

there's no 'T-O' map on folios 85v and 86r (folio 86v as was).

It's a misinterpretation of the north-emblem.

T-O maps depict the entire world; they don't show roads emerging to go beyond the world.  In this case, the place is one in the real world which - like many cities including older Constantinople, Mstkheta and many others,  was divided into three parts.  The 't-o" idea is due to a sense of familiarity which is false: our minds tend to reach for something we know already, and reason then ought to step in and say that the details show that initial sense of 'recognition' is illusory.

You are right about the new scans, though.  They're very 'bleached' and on some folios quite  important details have been reduced to near-  invisibility.  I find it helpful to look at as many different versions as possible.

About your interpretation of the script - I suppose that's possible, but someone else would be better able to say;  the script and language aren't my area, even if I fall over the odd stunning co-incidence.

I can say that to represent the sun's sinking into the west in that way isn't just unusual if one is positing Latin (i.e. Christian) European invention - it's  unheard of.  I expect that is why, in more than  a century, there was only one person before me who had recognised that it represented the sinking sun, and thus that the opposite represented East... making it potentially possible for them to correctly orient that folio, though it seems that nothing followed.  Until I began work, everyone (and I mean everyone) was still looking on the western side of the Mediterranean for the supposed 'castle' (which I think represents the port known as Laiazzo or Ayas). 

I think it is telling that no-one took it any further, or did any analysis or research .. the one acute and correct observation was just lost among the interminable intermittent series bits of vague ideas, many silly, and which had included a suggestion that the three-dot motif might be a clock, or that the middle might represent this place or that, or none..

That has always been the problem in Voynich studies, I think.  There's a temptation to get to the day-dream/hypothesis stage and then forget the manuscript in the effort to add circumstantial detail to the hypothesis in the hope it may be deemed the most plausible story.  Very understandable, but a pity; it means that we end up with everyone urging their idea, and no-one studying the manuscript to see what *it* has to say.

Of course, once I'd done that analysis and identified the map certainly as a map, explained its range and structures, compared with medieval maps, and comparative imagery and historical geography and so forth... now no one doubts it's a map... they just don't like the sort of map it is, because it's obviously not a product of Latin European knowledge, any more than of Latin European style. Smile
(19-07-2016, 02:40 PM)Diane Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Searcher,

there's no 'T-O' map on folios 85v and 86r (folio 86v as was).

It's a misinterpretation of the north-emblem.

T-O maps depict the entire world; they don't show roads emerging to go beyond the world.  In this case, the place is one in the real world which - like many cities including older Constantinople, Mstkheta and many others,  was divided into three parts.  The 't-o" idea is due to a sense of familiarity which is false: our minds tend to reach for something we know already, and reason then ought to step in and say that the details show that initial sense of 'recognition' is illusory.

You are right about the new scans, though.  They're very 'bleached' and on some folios quite  important details have been reduced to near-  invisibility.  I find it helpful to look at as many different versions as possible.

About your interpretation of the script - I suppose that's possible, but someone else would be better able to say;  the script and language aren't my area, even if I fall over the odd stunning co-incidence.

I can say that to represent the sun's sinking into the west in that way isn't just unusual if one is positing Latin (i.e. Christian) European invention - it's  unheard of.  I expect that is why, in more than  a century, there was only one person before me who had recognised that it represented the sinking sun, and thus that the opposite represented East... making it potentially possible for them to correctly orient that folio, though it seems that nothing followed.  Until I began work, everyone (and I mean everyone) was still looking on the western side of the Mediterranean for the supposed 'castle' (which I think represents the port known as Laiazzo or Ayas). 

I think it is telling that no-one took it any further, or did any analysis or research .. the one acute and correct observation was just lost among the interminable intermittent series bits of vague ideas, many silly, and which had included a suggestion that the three-dot motif might be a clock, or that the middle might represent this place or that, or none..

That has always been the problem in Voynich studies, I think.  There's a temptation to get to the day-dream/hypothesis stage and then forget the manuscript in the effort to add circumstantial detail to the hypothesis in the hope it may be deemed the most plausible story.  Very understandable, but a pity; it means that we end up with everyone urging their idea, and no-one studying the manuscript to see what *it* has to say.

Of course, once I'd done that analysis and identified the map certainly as a map, explained its range and structures, compared with medieval maps, and comparative imagery and historical geography and so forth... now no one doubts it's a map... they just don't like the sort of map it is, because it's obviously not a product of Latin European knowledge, any more than of Latin European style. Smile

Diane, 
I don't mean that this depiction is a T-O map, indeed. I used it in quotes as so-called "T-O map". I don't know whether it is map or not. Three words in it are interpreted by me as: horarius, alveum and ingenere (ingenero). The word horarius make me think about astrology, but, I have no idea, what the alveum (a channel, a gutter) could mean in the astrological sense, although there is something looking like a channel, emerging from the circle, exactly from the sector, where the word alveum is.
Generally speaking, I consider the "Rosettes" a map, but a map of what?!

P. S. 
The first thing that must be incitement to the further study is seeing of the word "Terra" under the Sun. In my case, of course.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=410]
+ additional image with marked lines.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=411]   

Original fragment "Terra" of the old scan.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=412]
About alveus (alveum) and horarius:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. Astronomicon. Marcus Manilius.
But I need to figure out these texts.
Searcher -  in my opinion you are wise to focus on Manilius rather than on Aratus.

I've dealt with the map in great detail - more than thirty posts, treating the emblems, the map's orientation, range, the difference between the original basic form and later additions (as chronological strata) and so forth.

Trouble is, I've now provided so much information that no-one has time to read it all. Smile

D

voynichimagery.wordpress.com

Oh - btw - that image of the sinking sun (as I've explained in the series of posts) represents the sun sinking into the channel (i.e. as birthcanal), about to be reborn from the flower.  I've called the flower a (notional) lotus.  The idea of the sun's being reborn from a flower is not, of course, an idea native to Latin Europe, and appears no-where in medieval Christian imagery that I've ever seen.  But then the map isn't a product of European thought in any sense - which may be one reason why my work isn't mentioned on sites compiled by persons who espouse an all-Latin Christian origin theory.  Anyway, the point is that those terms are appropriate enough for the sense of that image. 

The hour of entering the channel ..? could be.
(21-07-2016, 09:55 AM)Diane Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Searcher -  in my opinion you are wise to focus on Manilius rather than on Aratus.

I've dealt with the map in great detail - more than thirty posts, treating the emblems, the map's orientation, range, the difference between the original basic form and later additions (as chronological strata) and so forth.

Trouble is, I've now provided so much information that no-one has time to read it all. Smile

D

voynichimagery.wordpress.com

Oh - btw - that image of the sinking sun (as I've explained in the series of posts) represents the sun sinking into the channel (i.e. as birthcanal), about to be reborn from the flower.  I've called the flower a (notional) lotus.  The idea of the sun's being reborn from a flower is not, of course, an idea native to Latin Europe, and appears no-where in medieval Christian imagery that I've ever seen.  But then the map isn't a product of European thought in any sense - which may be one reason why my work isn't mentioned on sites compiled by persons who espouse an all-Latin Christian origin theory.  Anyway, the point is that those terms are appropriate enough for the sense of that image. 

The hour of entering the channel ..? could be.

Diane,
I agree about sinking Sun, it must be sunset, i. e. the West.
I think, it is obvious even visually.
I'll begin with the Sunset.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=413]

We see that the Sun is in front of a precipice (a chasm), no doubt, this is an analogy of the sunset, as the Sun goes down under the Horizon into the dark Underworld. I can't recall quickly whether another myth with similar detail exists, so only Ra, Apep and the Underworld occurs to me.
The Sunrise.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=414]

Most likely, the Sun rises back from that chasm, which wall is behind it. I'm not sure about the waved an rounded object, but, it is obvious, the rays of the Sun break away of the dark and give a great bunch of light (to the left).
In the light of this  Wink , logically that the North is the "Rosette" with a castle and with so-called T-O map, and South - in the opposite corner.
But, after all, I want to figure out, what the Alveus Globi is. Who knows, maybe, it will help.

Quotes:

Statuitur Alveus Globi ad analogas mundi plagas beneficio acus mgnetae.
(The channel of the Earth must be ascertained to the proper sides with the help of magnetic needle.)

Alveus Globi est separabilis pars constans statumine et circulo.
(The channel of the Earth is a separated part (of the Earth?), constant by a prop and a circumference)

In alveo Globi seu pedimento sunt basis, columnae et Horizon.
(In the channel of the Earth are (included) the base, columns and Horizon)

(The channel or the prop (fulcrum?) of the Earth on which it revolves)

Alveus Globi sustinetur basi seu pedamento, quod interdum additam habet Pyxidem nauticam, vulgo Compassum vocant, Vitruvio Amissium dicitur.
(The channel of the Earth is supported by the base or the prop (fulcrum) as in the meantime? in addition? keeps the Pixes Compass, which folks call Compassum and Vitruvius – Amissium) I can't translate the last sentence correctly.

So, is this a direction to the earth's magnetic North Pole or it is just this one, or the earth's axis, or its top, or, maybe, the center of the Erth (Erth core)? What is it in modern interpretation / definition?