The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Angelica
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Intro
I was commented towards the fact that i was polluting a thread, and yes that was true,
but most things i write seem not really interesting to others, so i thought it would be just a few lines in between,
but since there is more to tell about ANGELICA i made this new thread.

The problem

I asked: (see You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.)

i need to know if anyone also have matches for angelica, angelicus ? 
I stumbled upon a possible translation yesterday in the VMS, but the drawing of that herb does not resemble the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.at all.

The answers
Already many answers were given (thank you!)

[Image: angelica3.jpg]

Angelica silvestris (A. 74)
Quote:MarcoP:  
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
number 74   (or type angelica in the forum search box at the top right)

Angelica plants are also in the Vienna Cadmosto images 26 (Angelica) and 30 (Arca angelica - Angelica Archangelica L.).
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Quote:Angelica or archangelica, a very popular and fragrant herb with a large root.

Quote:JKP
From the Treat and Taste herbs blog:

"There are over thirty varieties of angelica but the one that is recognized for its medicinal qualities in Germany, Switzerland and Austria is archangelic. There are many stories surrounding its name but it certainly was used in pagan festivals, as there is a festival in parts of Germany when villagers go into towns carrying angelica stems and singing in a long-forgotten language words learned in childhood, but not understood even by the singers any more."

From the Journal of Nutrition, Pharmacology, Neurological Diseases:

"This herb [Angelica archangelica] blooms about May 8, (old calendar), St. Michael's feast day, and is so named in his honor. Even though this herb is named in honor of a Christian angel many Angelica Festivals are held in Livonia, East Prussia, and Pomerania, and celebrated in a pagan manner, with dance and chanting of ancient ditties in languages no longer understood."

From Rodale's encyclopedia:

“...chanting ancient songs whose words they do not understand. Is this a holy ritual gone pagan? Is it a tradition maintained since pre-Christian times? If they know the words to the songs, why don’t they know what they mean?”
Is there more information we can put it here.
[Image: angelica2.jpg]

Nederlands: Gewone engelwortel
Frysk: Ingelwoartel
English: Wild angelica (Ground ash, Holy ghost, Woodland angelica)
Français: Angélique des bois
Deutsch: Wald-Engelwurz
Wetenschappelijk: Angelica sylvestris
Familie: Schermbloemenfamilie, Apiaceae
Geslacht: Angelica, Engelwortel
NaamgevingAngelica komt van angelus (engel). 
De plant zou door een engel als geneeskrachtig zijn aangewezen. Sylvestris betekent in het bos groeiend.
source: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

[font=Times New Roman]Sylvestris = growing in the woods, which explains also the french name ;-)[/font]
from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

herba sancti (?) spi(ritu?)

dass heyleyn geist
neu....

Can you help transcribe the text on the left?
(01-06-2016, 03:52 PM)Davidsch Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

herba sancti (?) spi(ritu?)

dass heyleyn geist
neu....

Can you help transcribe the text on the left?

herba s[an]cti sp[irit]us

des heylig[e]n geist
wurcz
herba s[an]cti sp[irit]us

des heylig[e]n geist
wurcz

I agree with Helmut's transcription but I think it might be wurtz (the t and c characters were almost indistinguishable from one another in many scripts but there's a slight nick above the stem).

In the east they sometimes wrote wurcz, in other areas, sometimes wurtz or wurz and towards the north, sometimes wurt or wort (as they do in English).

Holy Ghost herb.
Well, the Auslasser script is one of the scripts where c and t are distuingishable, look at f. 99r, S. peters  wurcz, the t in peter and the c in wurcz are quite different