The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: can not find the page with many o's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yes, i know this should probably have been posted at the water cooler,
but i already entered the text and attachments, when i realized that, 
so please don't get angry on me again, and perhaps you can help moving this to the correct category?

-------

I know there was a discussion on a page on many oooooo's after a 15 minute search i give up
and post this thread, perhaps it can be moved after we 've located that other posting ?

I wanted to share these images:

[attachment=329]
page 29r
Wanted to show these many oooo's in this ms.
Update: Yes Marco, thanks page 70r1. So the thread concerned is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

[attachment=330]
page:front paste down
What is interesting about this text is that on the 4th line resembles two letters, as in the vms,
you see something that looks like yortalem or ajortlem, but there are very little words i can read.

[attachment=331]
page 19r
Here you can see letters in the picture have been used to show a=oriens, o=occidenz d=angulus ..?
This is used on the other pages as well.

link You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

here a pdf about the text:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Basel, Universitätsbibliothek, F III 25
Parchment · 51 ff. · 23.5-25.5 x 16-17 cm · 13th-14th century
Composite manuscript (Astronomy)
Language: not specified
Manuscript Summary: This composite manuscript of content related to astronomy consists of three independently created parts with leaves of different sizes and varying layouts. They were produced by several scribes in the 13th and 14th centuries. The texts describe instruments for observing the sky and treat the planetary orbits, which are also represented in astronomical drawings. This composite manuscript belonged to the chained library of the Dominican Convent of Basel. (gam/flr)
Standard description: Aus: HAN. Verbundkatalog Handschriften - Archive - Nachlässe.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

[font='Open Sans', sans-serif]Online Since: 06/25/2015[/font]
Hi David,
is it You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.?

The first word of the 4th line of the ms you attached could be "mortalem".

PS: google says it's Ovid, Metamorphoses Book XI 202-4

cumque tridentigero tumidi genitore profundi
mortalem induitur formam Phrygiaeque tyranno
aedificat muros pactus pro moenibus aurum.
(07-05-2016, 02:17 PM)Davidsch Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Wanted to show these many oooo's in this ms.
Here is example from Trithemius Steganographia
[attachment=332]
thanks ! Marco i updated the posting!

so the ai, aj is actually an m ?  strange letter

Ellie,  thanks, but that is a printed (later) ms compared to a handwritten ms
(07-05-2016, 02:39 PM)Davidsch Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.thanks ! Marco i updated the posting!

so the ai, aj is actually an m ?  strange letter

Ellie,  thanks, but that is a printed (later) ms compared to a handwritten ms

Sorry, Davidsch,

I know some people have "later" theories about the VMs and I thought they may be interested. Here is the John Dee handwritten version Smile

[attachment=333]
The whole front paste down  - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. -   is Ovid, Met. 11,147-246, v. ms. - description - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
And the oooo's are 0000's, of course. And even if i repeat myself, I think a great part of the VMs are Roman and Arabic numerals
Ellie, could you give your reference for the "john dee" version?  Thanks.

Is this your own find, and if not, can you recall who you learned about it from - thnx by 2.

PS. Excellent little pic.
(07-05-2016, 05:44 PM)Diane Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Ellie, could you give your reference for the "john dee" version?  Thanks.

Is this your own find, and if not, can you recall who you learned about it from - thnx by 2.

PS. Excellent little pic.
I mentioned it few years ago on the list- the Wales library just had id-ed the manuscript to be in John Dee's hand. I have no idea if it the Trithemius original was discussed before.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
[url=https://www.llgc.org.uk/discover/digital-gallery/manuscripts/early-modern-period/steganographia/][/url]
Quote:And the oooo's are 0000's, of course.

If so, then the text (Re f70r1) is written backwards, which is an interesting possibility in itself. E.g. suppose ar is a digit (which I had an idea of, application to f116v), and l is a digit as well, and then nine nulls are appended.
And why not? But not necessarily, it could be a series of numerals without dividers, just as an example something like a latitude, 000 degrees, 000 minutes, xyz seconds. Some of the diagrams look like common astronomical diagrams and there are always some numerals in the circles
Pages: 1 2