The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: The six-fingered man
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A while ago, I noticed that this man has six fingers:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=270]

I don't know if this was intentional or not, but I do lean towards that interpretation:
- Other figures have five fingers.
- The hand is a focal point of the figure.
- Subjectively, the hand looks more intentionally than accidentally deformed.

So if we assume that this was intentional, then what could it mean? I have no preferred dating or region for this folio, so I'm really open to all possible interpretations.

A basic search brings up You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. by Richard D. Barnett, in which various examples of polydactilism in art are studied. It can refer to a race of giants, "primordial people", indicate magical powers or be seen as a sign of good or bad fortune. Often, the background seems to be biblical, though the trait has a meaning in other cultures as well. The author's conclusion is that there is no clear pattern is visible in the examples.

Then there is the so-called six fingered emperor of Byzantium, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.:

"Many Byzantine Emperors were holy men and are saints of the Greek Orthodox Church, like Saint Ioannis Vatatzis, the Marble Emperor with the six fingers (1222-1254)." (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.)

Again, not too much about his six-fingeredness appears to be known for sure, although a book has been written about it, which can be seen here:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(I haven't read it yet, doesn't work too well on my pc - don't know if it contains anything of interest).

Finally, there is very anecdotal evidence of people telling that six-finger related myths about royal bloodlines and promised kings are still alive today, like this one, from a Greek American who was born with six fingers:

Quote:...when I was born In Athens the Doctor who was there when I was born went Bananas running up and down the hospital yelling the king is born.I have also found out that one of the Purest Royal bloodlines in Greece and Cyprus also all there first born sons had 6 fingers.

I won't link to the source because it's extremely shameful - they also talk about aliens. If I ever get sick in Greece, I hope I don't end up in that hospital, if this is how their staff behave.

So well, for now I see no clear solution, although something related to a "promised king" does seem like an attractive option. 
Any ideas?
I might be in the minority here, but I just don't see six fingers in this image. To me it just looks like he is holding something with his fingers widely splayed and not fully connected (this is a very tiny detail IRL), and the so called six finger look is caused by the base of the object he is holding. Look closely: the fleur-de-lys type thing he's holding appears to have some sort of a roundish base.
(18-04-2016, 11:30 AM)VViews Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I might be in the minority here, but I just don't see six fingers in this image. To me it just looks like he is holding something with his fingers widely splayed and not fully connected (this is a very tiny detail IRL), and the so called six finger look is caused by the base of the object he is holding. Look closely: the fleur-de-lys type thing he's holding appears to have some sort of a roundish base.

I think the hand touches symbol of power.