The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Questions about Greek influences
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
In You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., Vviews asked if I could clarify my stance on the Greekness of the VM. I started replying there, but then thought the admins would appreciate it if I moved this discussion to a new thread. So here goes:

(08-04-2016, 09:20 AM)V Views Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Koen Gh,

I have a few questions, regarding this but also several other identifications you make.
Is your theory that the Voynich was produced in Greece? Or that it is a copy of an ancient Greek manuscript?
In any case, can you prove that the artefacts you refer to as inspiration for Voynich iconography were known in the 15th C?

My issue with many of the artefacts you offer for visual comparison is that they were rediscovered in the 19th century, such as the Victory of Samothrace for example, which you refer to in your blogpost referenced by MarcoP.
Although European scribes and intellectuals were certainly familiar with the writings of the ancients, I strongly doubt that they had ever laid eyes on the coins, pottery and imagery you refer to as inspiration, which were rediscovered much more recently.
If I am wrong, I would really appreciate a link to a scholarly article explaining the presence of ancient Greek artifacts in European monasteries or universities in the 14th-15th century.

I appreciate the questions, hopefully I can clarify at least a bit.
Well first of all, I'm not the first one to make the link with ancient imagery, Diane has been doing this for years.

To answer your questions:

- I don't have a theory yet, my insights are still evolving. Either way, I think the chance that the manuscript was made in present day Greece is small, and I see no reason to assume so. Hellenistic culture and imagery was spread far and wide, to the East, to Egypt, copied by the Romans...
- I am absolutely convinced that the VM is a copy, or slight adaptation of earlier sources. Or, more likely, a group of older sources blended together in a similar style. Like Diane, I believe these sources related to the Eastern trade routes, which linked the Mediterranean to the East.
- If MS Beinecke 408 is the result of an attempt at near-identical copying of these older sources, we don't necessarily need the 15th C scribes to understand the imagery. Remember that not all manuscripts produced in the Middle ages were original works. Many were copies, adaptations, translations... This is very important: I will never argue that the MS was an original 15th century European creation, and I see no reason why it should be.

You are totally right that many of these artifacts have been rediscovered too recently for it to be a 15th century European creation. This line of thinking seems very unlikely to me.

Lately I've had reasons to consider Byzantium. It has remained, at least partially, culturally Greek for much longer than mainland Europe. They would have had access to Eastern Hellenistic imagery through trade with the East. Note that many of the images I refer to in my blog posts were common on coins!

Specifically about the Athena aegis vs. nebuly line issue: I don't argue that whoever first made this had Greek vases standing around. That is very, very unlikely. I merely use them as an illustration that this was a specific pattern that would have been recognized. As JKP correctly remarked, this pattern was known in several earlier cultures as well. My point was, that the original makers of this imagery (let's say  in 8th century Byzantium, just to say something) tapped into this tradition rather than the later nebuly line one.

In all cases, the imagery I provide are an illustration of a tradition, which to some extent lived on in places like Byzantium. Most of these statues, coins, frescos, mosaics... have been lost. The examples I cite just give us a glimpse into the imagery the Ancients.

The dating of the origins for the root-and-leaf section is still an issue, because if I assume Byzantium as the origin of the source material (so not the place where MS Beinecke 408 was later manufactured - that would have been in Europe), it could be anywhere between, let's say, the fourth and the fifteenth century.

A quote from an essay by Jonathan Harris (Hellenic Institute, Royal Holloway, University of London)
"reading classical Greek and even composing in the same style were an integral part of Byzantine higher education. Whereas in the West secular education had tended to die out in the early Middle Ages, in Byzantium it was sustained. In each generation, those who took their education beyond the age of fourteen would be instructed in the works of the ancient Greek poets, historians, dramatists and philosophers. Thus any educated Byzantine in the imperial service would have had a knowledge of these [ancient and classical] works which would have been the envy of many educated Italians."

As you rightfully point out, the question remains up to which century they would have been familiar with the actual imagery I propose. In the earlier centuries, those involved in international trade would have definitely seen these images on coins, that seems for sure. But this is something that still needs to be investigated.

What I'm trying to say is: we don't need any totally crazy theory to explain how these images ended up here.

I'll gladly answer any other questions or clarify where necessary.
Thanks for the clarification, and for making this a new thread.
I think I understand your position more clearly now.
A few follow up questions and comments: 
If the Voynich were a copy of a Byzantine manuscript: are you saying it was enciphered in Hellenistic times, or that the copyist decided to encipher it the 15th century? Or that it is not a cipher but just unreadable because the scribe poorly copied the original Greek?
Also:
I can only agree with the quote you featured, but it only pertains to texts. It does not apply to illustrations at all. As I said in my original post on the other thread, educated medieval Europeans would have been familiar with many ancient Greek and hellenistic texts. But this does not apply to the imagery: although we can often find text repeated word for word from a Hellenistic source in many European medieval manuscripts, the illustrations will show considerable variation.
For example, go have a look at medieval depictions of Jason and the Argonauts: the postures, clothing, the ship and weapons etc vary greatly, reflecting local and contemporary trends, and do not conserve stylistic tradition from the old Greek sources at all.
About the first question: I think the text and imagery belong together. The script is another matter:

- I am certain that it is based on Latin script.
- I am certain that whoever devised it, knew what he was doing and understood the source text. 
- I am not certain as to why the script was created. What I do know for sure, is that the labels in the root-and-leaf section are the names for the plants in their local language. This knowledge could have been handy for a trader or some official from a Greek centre like Byzantium who was involved in the trade routes. Plants from the Eastern parts of the trade routes are written in their original Indic language. Names for plants from other areas (closer to home) are in their relevant language. Perhaps the Voynich script was devised to uniformise and simplify the sound inventories of these various languages, to make it easier on the one who wanted to learn them. The focus on mnemonics (memory hints) points in this direction. But this is speculation.

Your question about the imagery is a good one, and as for now I don't have a definite answer. Until recently, I assumed the original sources came from further East, like the Greco-Bactrian kingdom, where these images would have been common. However, lately several people, including two historians, have told me independently that my findings point towards Byzantium. 

I drop my assumptions readily when confronted with such advice, so I will need to investigate the Byzantian option. I am trained in linguistics, not history, so I don't have a ready knowledge about Greek imagery and Eastern trade in Byzantium. So many different kinds of people lived there, including groups that came in from the East. 

Which centuries can I assume for the sources? Who was involved in the international trade when, and what did they know? Which imagery were they familiar with? When did the knowledge of Hellenistic imagery fade entirely? I'll be honest with you and say that for now, I don't know.

What I do know, is that the root-and-leaf section was made for Greek speakers who were schooled in Greek culture and professionally involved in the international trade. This could be people from local officials to traveling traders.

But just because I don't know the exact place and time when these sources were first made, doesn't mean that I can't keep studying them and picking out the bits of which I'm certain. If someone comes along and provides a suitable historical context, I'll gladly accept it. That's the advantage of not having a theory Smile
"What I do know, is that the root-and-leaf section was made for Greek speakers who were schooled in Greek culture and professionally involved in the international trade"
"That's the advantage of not having a theory"

The first statement actually is a theory. Really, there's absolutely no way you can know, ie. be 100% sure of this in such detail. There are a multitude of other options.
Perhaps you meant to write "believe" rather than "know"? Sometimes people write things a bit fast and then others get hung up on specific words, leading to baseless debates. If that's what I've done here, please let me know.

In my field, we believe there is no such thing as a neutral observer. Everyone has a bias. And that's perfectly fine, as long as we recognize it. What is detrimental to observation is the belief that one is neutral, that our description of what we view is the product of what we are viewing, rather than of our eye, of our education/culture, of viewing conditions, and of the conditions and language in which we are brought to describe it. Self-reflexivity is essential at every step.

Anyway, I applaud you for your statement: "I drop my assumptions readily when confronted with such advice". That is definitely an all-too-rare virtue.
With "know" I mean "am willing to assume with some certainty at the moment". 

This is a very tricky line to walk, especially in Voynich studies. Personally, I need a temporary assumption as a foothold. It helps me think :Smile
It's a shame that many people see it as a bad thing when they have to admit that they were wrong about something. Abandoning previous assumptions is, to me, the way science works. So when I can drop a naive initial thought and assume a more informed one, I'm happy to do so.

I said that for now I prefer a Byzantine background for my thoughts, but that is not certain at all. There were so many areas on the trade routes where Greek was spoken as the main language, and even more where it was spoken by some. The Byzantine theory suffers from similar problems as the European one. Not in the least, the question: where is Jesus in the Voynich? Where are the saints and winged angels?

You are right that I shouldn't say "know". Let's say I have very strong suspicions about the linguistic components, stronger than those about the exact historical background. I mainly offer the Byzantium example as a possible setting.
"The Byzantine theory suffers from similar problems as the European one. Not in the least, the question: where is Jesus in the Voynich? Where are the saints and winged angels?"

I wouldn't worry too much about that. 

A lot of what we expect of the Middle Ages comes from the tenacious stereotypes about it that were established during the so-called Enlightenment. We have yet to break free from the idea that people in what are still called the "dark ages" were filthy, that they were paralyzed by their fear of God and incapable of experiment, innovation, humor or critical thought. 

Although several scholars have argued in favor of a rethink of our view of the Middle Ages (the earliest was probably Charles Haskins in 1927), it is only in the 1950's and 60's that the clichés have begun to be truly deconstructed and disproven in detail, and these re-evaluations are still not widely known today.

There are literally countless European medieval books of medicine, bestiaries, herbals, and other technical/scientific manuscripts that feature no angels, saints or Christian imagery in their illustrations, although they may (or not) refer to them in the text. Admittedly, I know less about Byzantium, but looking at the herbals ReneZ linked to in the Touwaide thread on this forum, I don't see any religious references in the illustrations there either.
I must say I really appreciate your openness of mind. I have the impression most people won't even consider talking about possible earlier sources for the VM. I never really understood why, since for so many other medieval manuscripts previous sources can be found or must be assumed, often crossing national and linguistic borders.

(08-04-2016, 04:34 PM)VViews Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.There are literally countless European medieval books of medicine, bestiaries, herbals, and other technical/scientific manuscripts that feature no angels, saints or Christian imagery in their illustrations, although they may (or not) refer to them in the text. Admittedly, I know less about Byzantium, but looking at the herbals ReneZ linked to in the Touwaide thread on this forum, I don't see any religious references in the illustrations there either.

I agree, there are plenty of books full of plant drawings, for example. So as far as the Voynich botanical imagery goes, the lack of stereotypical medieval people is no problem.

But... Genuine question: is there a medieval parallel for the Voynich "nymph" illustrations? Rene once mentioned their number, if I recall correctly it was over 400.
So we have images of hundreds of naked women and some men. Among those, there are (with just a couple of possible exceptions):

- No kings
- No knights
- No Jesus
- No winged Angels
- No recognizable saints
- Little references to social standing (although various women (!) wear crowns and some people appear to wear fancy clothing)

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, it is quite un-medieval to depict so many people without these attributes. One's place in society was a crucial part of the medieval mindset, but those typical clues are missing from the Voynich nymph drawings.

Considering this, I understand why most people assume(d) that MS Beinecke 408 was the creation of a single, rather deviant person. These nymph drawings had no place in common medieval society.

In that case, however, I think it is also justified to start exploring the possibility of older sources. Perhaps even assume that - why not - MS Beinecke 408 is a Medieval copy of a type of manuscript that is now totally lost, a lucky survivor of a lost tradition. What Diane has been doing, and I am now also trying to do in my own way, is look for clues that could point us to those sources.

My own findings in the root-and-leaf section point towards a linguistic and culturally Greek background. Together with the trade route-related plant names and identifications, that still leaves quite a number of possible times and places open, though I quite like the Byzantium idea. Until a better one comes along, perhaps Smile
There's a general logical fallacy that one always has to beware of. It's a kind of non-sequitur.
I'm not saying it certainly applies here, but it's just to keep in mind.

One may suggest that some aspect of the MS is unusual for a medieval MS for this or that region, and that the MS is something else instead. However, one should then show that this same aspect is *not*  unusual for the alernative proposed place/time.
I have seen this in many forms, in several Voynich MS discussions. I don't wish to highlight any.

In any case, the Balneis MSs already cited many times are full of more-or-less similar unclothed small figures. These are also not overly loaded with Christian imagery.

I would love to see some examples of Paracelsus' "archei" that Singer compared with the Voynich MS nymphs. Even though his work postdates the Voynich MS, they would be interesting comparison materiall.
Rene, if the VM is the only surviving witness of a lost type, it's not that straight forward to just point to an alternative. However, I am trying to be as consistent as possible in the Greek cultural background - even though I am now less certain of the specific historical background than I once was, like I explained above.
If we assume that MS Beinecke 408 is a unifying copy of a collection of different sources, this becomes even more complex. 
Add to that the possible background of intercontinental trade, and matters are even more complicated.
It has to be picked apart piece by piece, which is what I'm trying to do - but I fully admit that I have to leave many questions unanswered. But then again, who doesn't. Smile

The Balneis MS is an interesting example which I hadn't studied yet, but I think the resemblances are superficial. I do agree that the Christian references are relatively sparce, and that this manuscript is refreshingly (no pun intended) practical. This illustrates well what Vviews said about our impression of medieval manuscripts being outdated.

One important difference is that the naked people in the Balneis have a reason to be naked: they are either bathing, about to bathe, or naked for medical reasons. Other people are clothed in recognizable full medieval dress. 

Many Voynich nymphs are in the water as well, but many others are just... nude. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. is one example. It seems that these nymphs are nude more by convention than by necessity.

Additionally, the sparse Christian symbolism in the Balneis just looks, well, Christian. Some examples:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. image, one of the red buildings is topped with a cross (church?)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., the man himself, JC.

Finally, the Balneis people are random people bathing, while many of the Voynich nymphs are individualized with attributes, but in such a way that they are hard to interpret in Medieval Latin terms.
(08-04-2016, 08:11 PM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....In any case, the Balneis MSs already cited many times are full of more-or-less similar unclothed small figures. These are also not overly loaded with Christian imagery.

Yes, and also Dante's Divine Comedy (third quarter 14th century).

The VMS bathing images have always struck me as somewhat anti-Dante's Inferno, with the multitudes of nude people smiling and getting healthy instead of writhing at the gates of hell but with a somewhat similar visual approach to the pools and figures.

(08-04-2016, 09:07 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....

Finally, the Balneis people are random people bathing, while many of the Voynich nymphs are individualized with attributes, but in such a way that they are hard to interpret in Medieval Latin terms.

That aspect has always struck me as rather Pagan. Even in the 15th century, there were many Pagan pockets (the Basques immediately come to mind), who didn't ascribe to the Christian concept of nudity being sinful.
Pages: 1 2 3