The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: zoomorphic and anthropomorphic roots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Here is my informal translation of a passage from “Il Giardino Magico degli Alchimisti” by Vera Segre Rutz (pag. L -LIII).
As the pessage itself makes clear, this subject is not related with Alchemical Herbals in particular.

Images from Alchemical Herbal BNF 17848 (many thanks to Rene!).
I attach a slightly processed detail from the Naples Dioscorides f 78r (but the illustration is very dark, not easy to read). If someone had a link to the Vienna Dioscorides f 126r, I would be interested in seeing if it is clearer).

In addition to the geometrical simplification, there is another factor that contrasts naturalism and appears very strange to the modern eye: the prominent zoomorphic and anthropomorphic elements. Often, these elements correspond to analogies that are also expressed in the name of the plant, for instance You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. [Christ's Hands] (cap. 46), a kind of orchid [in Italian] still named “manine” (small hands) and scientifically “Orchis dactylorhiza”, because its roots remember the shape of a human hand. The plant named You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (cap. 34) has been associated with the fish “lucius” (pike) and features a large fish as a zoomorphich root. This phenomenon begins with the Naples Dioscorides [600 – 650 ca] [footnote: in the text of Dioscorides the small flowers of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. are described as similar to masks and they are illustrated as anthropomorfic in the Naples manuscript]. [In the alchemical herbal tradition] it extends to many plants, and sometimes this cannot be linked with the contents of the text. With the exception of “herba You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.” (cap. 3) the anthropomorphism or zoomorphism happens in the roots. Once again, the ancient Dioscorides manuscripts, from Wien and Naples, provide precedents, with the root of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. presenting a human appearance. Vegetal images with anthropomorphic or zoomorphic roots appear in a number of medieval botanic manuscripts, of the same age but not directly related with the alchemical manuscripts [the earliest dated alchemical herbal was written in 1378]. For instance, Florence ms Palat. 586 (XIV Century) from Spain-Provence, Laurenziana ms Redi 165 and the very similar herbal in the Gambalunghiana Library, Rimini. This aspect has been explained as “drolerie,” i.e. as a purely decorative phenomenon, or as a derivation from the Arabic figurative culture, linked with legends and tales of oriental origin that had a wide circulation. We think the reference to the Arabic tradition is mainly relevant for the stylization and geometrization of botanical shapes, but it is vague in relation with anthropomorphic and zoomorphic roots. … Arabic botanic illustration is a little studied field, not very accessible to Western researchers, but from the sources I know, I would not say that the Arabs introduced specific zoomorphic or anthropomorphic iconographies. The anthropomorphism or zoomorphism of plants, in particular of roots, which are believed to have the higher pharmaceutical efficacy, is part of a magic-based idea of the vegetal world; it is a sign of the recognition of a personality of the plant, of its own powerful vitality. For the same reason, we find [in the text] prayers to be addressed to the plants, prescribed as a condition to benefit of their more or less occult powers. The magic-animistic view of the vegetal world has ancestral origins and is clearly mirrored in the language about plants. Anthropomorphic or zoomorphic metaphors are among the main universal principles in the classification of plants, with Italian names such as “bocca di ...” “lingua di ...” “piede di ...” “zampa di ...” “coda di ...”, in Latin “pes ….” “ungula ….” “lingua ….” followed by the chosen animal [in English houndstongue, houndstooth, snapdragon, cat's tail]. The human and animal body is the main model in the conceptualization of the natural world: a universal anthropologic phenomenon of particular importance for the idea of nature as animated, inhabited by demons and by plants having their own soul. Anthropomorphic and zoomorphic elements in the alchemical herbals visualize a magic and metaphorical mentality, which has left deep traces in our languages in the popular names of plants.

See also the Naples Dioscurides You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..
Segre describes the flowers of Lonchitis as anthropomorphic, but they look like dog heads to me.
Thanks, Marco, I'm always interested in this kind of information.

The hand-root in your picture has a similar positioning as You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. But the Voynich plant is a leek or onion-like vegetable, and the hand is drawn in a different style.

The one with the many "cartoonish" faces has a similar Voynich version You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. But again, a different plant. (You probably don't care, but this is on the other foldout I consider "mythological". Note how the leaf in the Voynich plant is drawn like a sword, and also the plants next to it look "weaponized".)

Interestingly, the plant with the very human head knows no parallel in the VM. The Voynich artist avoids the realistic depiction of human heads.
(12-03-2016, 09:37 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....

Interestingly, the plant with the very human head knows no parallel in the VM. The Voynich artist avoids the realistic depiction of human heads.

I think the paired root heads in the VMS are realistic enough to guess that they might be tonsured monks.
I can't remember where I read it.....

The Greek orchis means testicle, as still evidenced from the word polyorchidism (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.).
The Latin term is testes which may have led to the drawing of heads in the roots of orchids.
(12-03-2016, 09:10 PM)MarcoP Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Here is my informal translation of a passage from “Il Giardino Magico degli Alchimisti” by Vera Segre Rutz (pag. L -LIII).
As the pessage itself makes clear, this subject is not related with Alchemical Herbals in particular.

Images from Alchemical Herbal BNF 17848 (many thanks to Rene!).
I attach a slightly processed detail from the Naples Dioscorides f 78r (but the illustration is very dark, not easy to read). If someone had a link to the Vienna Dioscorides f 126r, I would be interested in seeing if it is clearer).

In addition to the geometrical simplification, there is another factor that contrasts naturalism and appears very strange to the modern eye: the prominent zoomorphic and anthropomorphic elements. Often, these elements correspond to analogies that are also expressed in the name of the plant, for instance You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. [Christ's Hands] (cap. 46), a kind of orchid [in Italian] still named “manine” (small hands) and scientifically “Orchis dactylorhiza”, because its roots remember the shape of a human hand. The plant named You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (cap. 34) has been associated with the fish “lucius” (pike) and features a large fish as a zoomorphich root. This phenomenon begins with the Naples Dioscorides [600 – 650 ca] [footnote: in the text of Dioscorides the small flowers of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. are described as similar to masks and they are illustrated as anthropomorfic in the Naples manuscript]. [In the alchemical herbal tradition] it extends to many plants, and sometimes this cannot be linked with the contents of the text. With the exception of “herba You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.” (cap. 3) the anthropomorphism or zoomorphism happens in the roots. Once again, the ancient Dioscorides manuscripts, from Wien and Naples, provide precedents, with the root of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. presenting a human appearance. Vegetal images with anthropomorphic or zoomorphic roots appear in a number of medieval botanic manuscripts, of the same age but not directly related with the alchemical manuscripts [the earliest dated alchemical herbal was written in 1378]. For instance, Florence ms Palat. 586 (XIV Century) from Spain-Provence, Laurenziana ms Redi 165 and the very similar herbal in the Gambalunghiana Library, Rimini. This aspect has been explained as “drolerie,” i.e. as a purely decorative phenomenon, or as a derivation from the Arabic

This is so strange. I started a thread about the various forms of Dioroscuran plant imagery on the the library page too. Nice synchronicity.  Speaking of which, I think my posts may be out of synch - date and time - with others posting here, I'm about ten hours ahead of everyone else, so if I post at 2.30pm my time and you at 2.30 pm your time, the order might be off.
(13-03-2016, 01:38 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I can't remember where I read it.....

The Greek orchis means testicle, as still evidenced from the word polyorchidism (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.).
The Latin term is testes which may have led to the drawing of heads in the roots of orchids.

Thank you, Rene!
Your note seems very helpful to me, since it explains the human head roots in terms of the main principle mentioned by Segre: symbolic illustrations being related with metaphorical names.

Actually, the bulb of garlic is still called “head” (testa) in Italian. The same happened (or maybe still happens) in French (teste d'aulx) and possibly in medieval Latin (“You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.).

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (Italy, 1475 ca) explicitly mentions something similar for an anthropomorphic root:
“Erba luccia terza vel capo duomo i[n] greco”
“The third Luccia herb, or man's head in Greek”
I have no idea of what the Greek name alluded to could be, it could well be some variant of “orchis”.
I've been looking at these various manuscripts all day, it's such intriguing matter. Mandrake always got the special treatment, it seems You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

These human head roots are definitely worth looking into. I can name at least three instances in the VM right off the top of my head (no pun intended). One with five heads, one with two and one with a single head.

Just out of curiosity, Marco, what on earth is going on in the bottom image of that Vermont page you linked?
(13-03-2016, 02:07 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Just out of curiosity, Marco, what on earth is going on in the bottom image of that Vermont page you linked?

The plant is mula campana, "mule's bell" (here the artist lost the opportunity for an even stranger root). It could be You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..
The text says it cures intestinal worms, causing their expulsion.
I was not aware of the fact that You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. actually has anthropomorphic flowers (detail from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.).

[Image: attachment.php?aid=184]
Marco - what an amazing picture!

I wonder if local Italian legends said babies came from the orchid, rather than the cabbage patch. Smile

by the way, I think you mean anthropoform - having the form of a man.

Anthropomorphism is an imposition of human character artificially - as cartoon animals are represented having human reactions and emotions, and might even be shown wearing human clothing.
Pages: 1 2 3