The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Eclipses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(08-04-2024, 07:47 PM)Antonio García Jiménez Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Today there was a solar eclipse that could be seen in various parts of the world. It would be strange if there were not in the VM, with so many astronomical diagrams, the representation of an eclipse. Some illustrations suggest eclipses. At least one is clear, although with a very childish drawing.This is this illustration from f67:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Astrological aspects, angular relationships of the Sun and Moon are represented in the corners of this page. In the drawing that I have shown, the opposition between the Sun and the Moon is represented. In the middle we see the Earth with that nice cone that represents the shadow that the Sun projects on the Moon in an eclipse.

If an illustration of an eclipse is to be expected in the Voynich MS, then surely there must be examples in other (readable) manuscripts.
It should be of interest to have examples of this.

In the past, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.  has been compared to a New Moon, but it could also be an eclipse.
Johannes de Sacrobosco De sphaera mundi, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (14th century)

Lunar eclipse f. 29v (image 68):

[attachment=8410]

Solar eclipse f. 30v (image 70):

[attachment=8411]
In relation to the image that I have posted of f67, I think it would be better to describe it as no eclipse. The shadow of the Earth is not directed towards the Moon but upwards, which probably indicates that it is a normal opposition of the Sun and the Moon like the one that occurs every month, that is, a full moon.

As in the other astrological aspects of the corners of that page, the Moon is always drawn as a sphere, perhaps this is the reason why in opposition to the Sun the author has drawn two Moons, to emphasize the full Moon.
Some from around 1450 from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.