The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Is the Voynich Manuscript encrypted (encoded, enciphered)? (April 2024)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is the Voynich Manuscript encrypted (encoded, enciphered)? (April 2024)

I think the Voynich Manuscript...

- is a constructed language.
- is encrypted and the base language is Latin.
- is encrypted and the base language is a non-Latin European language.
- is encrypted and the base language is a non-European language.
- is encrypted but I don't know the base language.
- is not encrypted but an unknown script of an unidentified natural language.
- is not a human language but written by mermaids/angels/extraterrestrials/etc.
- is something meaningful but other than the above options.
- is meaningless, all you people were duped by a hoax.
- Don't know / Not sure / No comment.
Poll is set to close in 21 days; Saturday, April 27, 2024.
I have put "is encrypted and the base language is Latin" as that is what I think most likely. However this is my guess. Maybe I should have put "is encrypted but I don't know the base language" as that would probably be my position in practice.
I like the second to last option. ;-)

But I selected "is something meaningful but other than the above options". To be more exact, I currently think it is either encrypted or in an unknown script and in dialects of two or more contemporaneous natural languages and I wouldn't yet rule out Latin being one of those languages. There aren't many possibilities I am willing to rule out at this point except that I think the most complicated ones are the least likely. Assuming, of course, it isn't actually a hoax or a meaningless text, which I currently think is even less likely, given what it would take to produce either one by or before 1912 when Voynich acquired it.
I'm the only one who doesn't know  Sad
The more I learn about the VMS, the less sure I am about anything. The only thing I'm completely satisfied with is that it's a genuine 15th century document and not a modern hoax.