The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Possible Plant Name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Related to this post: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

I was trying to find similarities between the small text labels of plants in the pharmaceutical section (?) and found something. The label ‘koldarod’ on the roots of a plant in folio 102r2 seems to match up with ‘told’ and ‘qokol dardy’ on folio 18v (the plant that matches the root image). 

Another possible match on folio 101v2 has it labelled as ‘okol’. 

I’m not sure if this even means anything, I’m still new to this, I don’t even know if I did the transliteration right, but I noticed this and thought I should mention it!
Welcome. I joined in February. I'm glad I'm no longer the newest kid on the block.

I gave up on the plants long ago. The only one that I saw that looked like anything to me was the lily pad on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. .

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

I don't know much about this website but it may have some value:

"Many of the plants are herbs, vegetables, or flowers and are native to or cultivated in the Mediterranean region, in particular, Italy."

What are your thoughts on the plants and the book in general?
It is an interesting case.

I made a quick study of it and posted it here:

I conclude:

"On the face of it then, there does seem to be a connection between [koldarod] on f102r2 and the matching herbal page 18v. The text on page 18v shows an unusual concentration of the elements that constitute the label [koldarod]. 
The connection between the illustrations is matched by a demonstrable connection between texts. It is not as explicit as label-for-label, as we might hope, but there is a demonstrable prefiguring of [koldarod] in the text of 18v."