The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: repeating crescents & the faces on f68r1_f68r2_f68r3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(18-03-2024, 10:34 PM)Antonio García Jiménez Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Yes, what you say is a reasonable argument.

I believe that the c-shapes are the symbol of the moon and the representation of its movement, and it is a symbol that by the time of Voynich must have already been fixed. The logical thing is that, taking into account the phases of the moon, the author also represented the mirror image, but perhaps, as you say, the letter c of the alphabet influenced the setting of the symbol.

In any case, in the Voynich we can see an image in which the symbol of the moon, always with the same shape, surrounds the personified face of the moon

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

This is probably more of a discussion for the "Imagery" thread than the "Analysis of the text" thread.

I am not convinced that the top image on page f68r1 is a personified face of the Moon, but if it is, what do you see as the lower face on page f68r1 and the two faces on f68r2 and the one face on f68r3?

These same repeating crescents are seen in the upper-left circle on the the Rosettes page. Any comments on what the repeating crescents mean there?

Edit: I would add that personally I think the lower face on f68r1 and the upper face on f68r2 look more like personified faces of the Moon. To me, the upper face on f68r1 and the lower face on f68r2 look more like people. They seem to have hair. I don't remember seeing a personified face of the Moon with hair before.
[attachment=8324]
I would describe it like this
(23-03-2024, 07:18 PM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I would describe it like this

Those are interesting ideas and I will keep them in mind. Any idea on what the message is in showing the four phases of the Moon and why they would show both "Crescent moon" and "Quarter moon" between "Full moon" and "Empty moon"?

I think the four main phases of the Moon are generally presented in this order in English:

New Moon
First Quarter Moon or Waxing Crescent
Full Moon
Third Quarter Moon or Last Quarter Moon or Waning Crescent

Why would they present them in this unusual order?

Vollmond (full moon)
Halbmond (half-moon or crescent)
Viertelmond (quarter moon)
Leermond (empty moon), Neumond (new moon)

That seems backwards and out of order. Is the German tradition different from the English tradition? Or am I supposed to not read top-bottom-top-bottom but in a circle? Is that how to not have the two Crescent moons between New and Full? If they had intended for it to be read in a circle, I would have thought they would have made one big circle and not two circles, one circle on each page.

Also, with First Quarter (Waxing Crescent) the right half is illuminated (Northern Hemisphere). With Third Quarter (Waning Crescent) the left half is illuminated (Northern Hemisphere). I'm not seeing a lot of right/left difference here in the two Crescent images. The one you identify as "Halbmond" has a little bit of yellow color on the right but most of the yellow color is on the left and it just looks weird.

And the stars are different between the two pages. Every star that I see on f68r1 has a label. On f68r2 there are more stars and they don't all have labels. And I don't see any connection between the four phases of the moon and f68r3.

No comment about the hair? Am I the only one who sees hair?

I think there is more here than the simple four phases of the moon. Or do I just chalk-up all these anomalies to the artist being a really bad artist?