The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Voynich Manuscript Day - Researcher Presentation Submissions Now Open
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In October 2023, a poll was conducted here to select a date for this site to establish an annual Voynich Manuscript Day observance (or VM Day for short). The date selected was 4 August and the first observance will be this year.

You can access the 2024 main event on the site calendar: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Earlier this month, another poll was started to allow all Voynich Ninja members to indicate what activities they would be most interested in attending, participating in, and/or presenting. The poll will be open through the end of this month and the link for it is in the calendar link above. The top activity so far is the Individual VM research paper presentations one.

We are moving forward with this activity and have created a submission form (in Google Forms), which is now active. Here is the responder link:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

The submissions You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. are noted in the site calendar.

Submissions are open to all VM researchers who are registered members here on Voynich Ninja. VM researchers who would like to present their work on VM Day should complete this form by no later than Monday, 8 April, 2024 in order to be considered for the VM Day program. Researchers who have conducted more than one VM research project and wish to present on each one should complete this form separately for each research project. Please note that this is NOT a peer review process nor is it intended to gauge publication readiness. Currently, there is no limit on the number of research presentations that will be accepted for the VM Day program. However, depending on how many researchers express an interest in presenting on VM Day and complete this form, it may be necessary to set a limit, in which case your responses will help determine whether your presentation can be included this year. Should your presentation be included in the VM Day program, it is highly recommended that you practice presenting it, including timings, Q&A allowances and attendee moderation, particularly if audio and/or webcam enabled.

Please review all the questions before starting the form. You may wish to prepare your responses before continuing. Questions requiring a response are noted with a red asterisk (*). All others are optional but you may also find them helpful for your preparation. You do not need to log in to a Google account in order to complete and submit the form. However, you will need to log in to Google to save your progress in case you wish to exit and return later, as long as you submit it before the deadline. When logged in, the form automatically saves your progress and you can change your responses as needed. Click submit only when you are ready to do so. Once you submit, you will no longer be able to make changes. Since you will not be asked for your email address, you will not be sent a copy of your responses. Instead you should either save a local copy of the responses you enter or you should save or print a copy of your completed form prior to submitting. You do not need to provide a copy of your presentation at this time but it would be helpful if we can view it during program finalization about two weeks prior to VM Day.

If you encounter any difficulties with the form or if you have any questions not answered in this post or in the form, you can post it in this thread and we will respond as soon as possible.

Once the form is closed, we will review all submissions beginning Tuesday, 9 April, 2024 and will follow-up with all responders as soon as possible after that date. The timing for this will depend on the number of submissions received. If possible, we will provide an update with the exact timing once the review has started. Until then, please expect it to take us two to four weeks for the review and follow-up.
Thanks for setting this all up, merrimacga. I will fill in the form soon.

I do wonder though, wouldn't it be more convenient to host a single event with a single login, and then allot time slots to people wishing to present? Like they did with the Malta conference? Like that it will feel like more of a unified event and it can be streamlined a bit, plus you'd probably have much greater attendance on all the talks.
Good points for certain and if the Malta Conference was able to set up all its sessions to be run virtually, instead of or in addition to in person attendance, and at no cost, this may work for VM Day as well, not only for the research presentations but also the other virtual activities. But there are some key differences between Malta and VM Day that may present challenges for the latter.

I will post this in the planning thread for further consideration.
Well I was thinking that the presentations themselves could be the main "live" event. Then for other things there are two options: either do them on separate tracks, or integrate them into the main stream. For example, it wouldn't hurt to play some Voynich inspired music submitted by members in between presentations, look at some artwork or whatever.

It would all depend on the number of submissions for the presentations. To be honest I have no idea how many there will be. Submissions would really only come from a subset of active members, i.e. those interested in presenting original research. There are many other types of members, like those who prefer to read the latest news, those who like to follow discussions, those who like to participate in discussions, those who defend their own theory tooth and nail...

Either way, I would prefer to have the presentations in one event, which can also be recorded and posted on youtube. Since we want to be a bit less formal than the Malta conference, we may opt to allow people to choose whether they want to pre-record a presentation or present live during the event.
VM Researchers: DON'T FORGET: Today is the deadline for VM Day Researcher Presentation Submissions.

If you experience any issues with your submission, please post here in this thread so we can assist you further.

This site has been very active in the past month or so and several of you have working theories in progress. VM Day may be a great opportunity for you to share your work, obtain feedback, do interactive live Q&A, find support for your theories and find others willing to collaborate with you on your research. We encourage you to not miss out on this opportunity and we thank you in advance for your participation in our first annual VM Day this August.

NOTE: You do not have to submit a presentation at this time. The online form (link in the initial post above) is a questionnaire that will provide us your intent to present on VM Day and provide us basic information for your inclusion in the VM Day program. The form may seem lengthy but many of the questions are optional. At this time, we have had a low response rate so we may consider extending the form deadline and, if we do, we will note the extension here, in the site calendar and in our planning thread. We are also considering a centralized Zoom meeting option for better organization of VM Day live content. So you may not need to provide your own webinar details. We will reach out to all presenters with more details as soon as known.
Submitted.
Can I ask when we'll know who has been accepted to present?

I have submitted for a talk but I know that there is another submitter whose work likely overlaps with my own. I would (quite happily) shape what I present to ensure there is no duplication.
(08-04-2024, 05:52 PM)Emma May Smith Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Can I ask when we'll know who has been accepted to present?

I have submitted for a talk but I know that there is another submitter whose work likely overlaps with my own. I would (quite happily) shape what I present to ensure there is no duplication.

Originally, I had targeted confirmations within a week or two of the deadline but if we extend the deadline, I'll have to change that. I can confirm receipt of your submission and I don't think we're turning down any presentations at the moment but let me confirm and get back to you sometime this week.

As for the scheduling and webinar details, that may take a little longer but I envision a first come, first served basis for the scheduling and I'm almost certain you will be first or second to get scheduled and if you prefer to coordinate your presentation around that of a similar other one, I'm sure we can work with you on that. Stay tuned for more soon.
Thank you to everyone who submitted their forms by the original 8 April deadline. The review team has reviewed all of them and all have been accepted for VM Day. I will be reaching out to all presenters via PM this week.

The review team knows there is more VM research being conducted currently and the team feels we have the scheduling bandwidth to add more researcher presentations. So we have decided to extend the deadline through 30 April (ignore the deadline in the form) and the submission form will be available through that date. If you are interested in presenting your research on VM Day, you now have extra time to complete the submission form. And remember the form is primarily to give us basic info for considering your submission and for you to express your intent to present. You do not have to provide any presentation materials at this time and a lot of the questions are optional.

Please note: we have had one update since the form was created that is not reflected in the form. And that is that we now have a centralized Zoom account for scheduling the presentations and for providing webinar details for VM Day participation. We will be coordinating with all accepted presenters as soon as possible on the scheduling.