The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: New studies of Voynichese
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A number of new posts at LINGUA NYMPHARUM. Analysis of the text employing my 'paradigm' approach. 

The Secret of Palindromes

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

What is [q] and what does it do?

Sympathy: [ch] and [ee]

Sympathy: [ii] and [ee].

The Evolution of Qokeedy - slides

Ur-vords

Daily posts covering a few months of new (and, I think, productive) research using this approach.

R.B.
While there are some interesting ideas worth of developing, I'd contend that labelese was "created" first and the running text was thought later. 
Books and manuscripts are meant to convey information and most common way is via readable textual representation, labels usually provide just some short additional context sensitive information, so it would be a bit surprising if the paradigm began from "labelese" and then extended to real written text. 

The main objective of the VMS still the running text so it would be quite understandable to create a paradigm for the main objective first and then withing the flow, create additional paradigms as needed. Moreover, doing the reverse, it might not have ecen been possible to extend the short labelese paradigm to full text, but it would be more practical to contract a wider text paradigm to accomodate the shorter "labelese" syntax. IMO.
(01-02-2024, 09:02 AM)Scarecrow Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.While there are some interesting ideas worth of developing, I'd contend that labelese was "created" first and the running text was thought later. 
Books and manuscripts are meant to convey information and most common way is via readable textual representation, labels usually provide just some short additional context sensitive information, so it would be a bit surprising if the paradigm began from "labelese" and then extended to real written text. 

The main objective of the VMS still the running text so it would be quite understandable to create a paradigm for the main objective first and then withing the flow, create additional paradigms as needed. Moreover, doing the reverse, it might not have ecen been possible to extend the short labelese paradigm to full text, but it would be more practical to contract a wider text paradigm to accomodate the shorter "labelese" syntax. IMO.

Thanks. I have considered that it might be the otherv way around - that the Labels are generated from a simplified paradigm made for the purpose - which would make sense in the ways you suggest, but the text seems to go the other way. As I explain in my posts, the purpose would be to install a system of word breaks into an otherwise continuous cycle.

But it must be considered from all directions, and all possibilities explored.  As for your point, "it might not have ecen been possible to extend the short labelese paradigm to full text" I am forced to suspect the primitive paradigm was designed for expansion from the outset. It has not been forced into an inappropriate form. It has been unpacked.
(01-02-2024, 09:02 AM)Scarecrow Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.While there are some interesting ideas worth of developing, I'd contend that labelese was "created" first and the running text was thought later. 

A further point, reflecting on your objection, Scarecrow, is that I think the Voynich is to some extent an assembly of prior material. And primarily, the map (Rosette page) came first. I have proposed that the original purpose of what became Voynichese was to create toponyms:

I suspect the codex project and the running text system developed from those sort of beginnings. 

R.B.

Here is another post relevant to this, Scarecrow.