The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Cryptographic Progress
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just received the following message from my friend Ivan Parisi->

Dear Mark

I would like to wish you a Merry Christmas too. I hope that in the next month my new article about the Duke Federico da Montefeltro will be published because I made a very important discovery for the history of cryptography: the Urbinate Latino nn. 948 and 949, two manuscripts that you can see in the digital library of the Vatican Library and which anticipate by 50-70 years the knowledge of Trithemius and Bellaso.
See you soon
ivan

Ivan worked on the Montefeltro conspiracy cipher. And so I guess has an interest in all things Urbino.
Can anyone find "Urbinate Latino nn. 948 and 949" digitised online?

Or in the Bibliothèque Nationale de France->

FONDSITALIEN

Codex 2245 (ca.1447-ca.1471)

Digitised?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Codex 2245 in BNF cipher pages
Nothing particularly interesting about the ciphers in Codex 2245

However it makes it seem more likely that there are ciphers in folders listed by Vincent Ilardi which he had not referenced as containing ciphers
Yes, they look "classic" if you can call them so.

But it feels that they are actually quite hard to break. There are several different symbols for each letter with up to 5 symbols for the most requent letters.
There are nulls, there are separate symbols for doubled letters and there is a nomenclator list for own names.
(29-01-2024, 12:39 PM)Rafal Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.There are several different symbols for each letter with up to 5 symbols for the most requent letters.
For example, some ligatures written in the left margin of Folio 75v contain from 5 to 8 letters (characters).
Is this applicable to Voynich in any way?

(offtopic) I'm just hesitating if I should move this to another subforum Rolleyes
(29-01-2024, 10:26 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Is this applicable to Voynich in any way?

In my humble opinion: yes.

The Voynich has traditionally been called a cipher MS, and these are examples of ciphers methods that existed around the time that the MS was created. One way or another this is important evidence.
Well this subforum has been targeted at Voynich-research specific news, so I wondered whether this discovery is specifically assumed to have prospects of shedding light on Voynich or it's only of general significance for the history of cryptography.

Anyways, let it stay here if everybody is happy with that. Smile