The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: [split] University of Vienna Voynich Manuscript seminar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Interest in the VMS at universities seems to continue. The University of Vienna, for example, is offering a seminar on the topic in the winter semester of 2023. Lecturer is Dr. Martina Pippal (art historian).

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Pippal's seminar sounds very promising. I hope it will be possible to know something about its contents.
I have already asked Dr. Pippal by email whether a publication of the works is conceivable. The presentations could be posted on Youtube.
I added Dr. Pippal's course to this site's You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and referred anyone interested in commenting to bi3mw's post here. The course starts October 10th but has an irregular schedule so I posted each session separately in the calendar. It will be interesting to see whether any of the enrollees' materials will be made publicly available when the course has ended.
Dr. Pippal has replied to my inquiry by eMail as follows (translated into English):

Quote:I am very grateful for your reference to the website. Whether we (my seminar participants and I) publish something depends on whether we get something clever out of it. My approach is in any case an art- resp. cultural-historical one, so we will have to leave many questions aside. Next week we will start once, let's see if our swarm intelligence leads to something ...

... if that is the case, I will be very happy to come to you

So it seems that something is definitely possible.
Moved to news. I am happy to see an art historian approach for a change.
Finally an art historian enters the scene. It sounds promising.
In any case, a video interview by David and Koen at the end of the seminar would be good.
(04-10-2023, 04:07 PM)MarcoP Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.In any case, a video interview by David and Koen at the end of the seminar would be good.

That's a good idea, I can think of a lot of things I would ask. What made her decide to teach this course, what are the challenges teaching this course, how does one link the manuscript's drawings to a wider art-historical framework for students, what are her own views, which student papers stood out to her etc.
It would be interesting to see a syllabus. -- Karl
Pages: 1 2 3