The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: New Game in 2024: Codex: The Voynich Manuscript
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Pug&Duck, founded in 2019, is a German independent publisher of games, calendars, tarot cards and other products. They have a new game titled Codex: The Voynich Manuscript that is scheduled for release June 1, 2024 and is currently available to pre-order on their website. There aren't too many details known yet but below are some links for more information.

Pug&Duck game details page: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Pug&Duck about page: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Game information page on the BoardGameGeek (BGG) website: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
The English on their site is horrible, but I'm intrigued as to why they call it an A book all the time.
Quote:The little medieval A book
Quote:gives countless Mythen one this A book

Is this some mis-translation from German? Why the capitalised A before book?
"Guten tag Gunther, how can I say ein Handschrift in English?"
"A book?"
I had the most difficult time with the Pug&Duck site. It kept bouncing back and forth between German and English and only partially at that. I think it recognized my IP as a U.S. one. It seemed to me the English translation, which isn't complete for the whole page, relies on Google Translate, which usually doesn't do that bad a job translating German to English. But if you try to pull the site up in German (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.), which still recognized my IP as U.S., and then try to navigate to the VM game through the top links (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.), you get the internet 404 error code. Here's the German about page link:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

Koen: Is their German text any better than their English?

One can only hope by the time they actually release the game, their English pages are better. And that they market the game better with more images and more details, like box contents, like one of their other games. $71.00 U.S. is a lot for a game though. When I Googled them, I also saw results indicating they had a Kickstarter campaign for one of their other products. And if you look at their other two games on their site, each is the same price as this one, both are also pre-order, and one notes the Kickstarter campaign towards the bottom. The pre-order price for these games may be their way of offsetting startup costs. We should all probably just wait and see when the game is actually released.

Assuming, that is, the game itself isn't a hoax or gets cancelled. That 404 error code page has me thinking it just might.
When I go to the German page (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.) and select "Produkte / Brettspiele / Codex, das Voynich Manuskript" I get the error message "404, Page not found". Maybe the game is not delivered in German but only in English. I have sent an eMail to the publisher about this.
(24-09-2023, 09:29 AM)merrimacga Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Koen: Is their German text any better than their English?

The German looks normal to me, but I'm not a native speaker, so I might not pick up on any traces of amateurism. My guess would be that it's fine though. But I find the weird English page rather off-putting.

Edit: Matthias, I found the German page through here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(24-09-2023, 10:00 AM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Edit: Matthias, I found the German page through here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Ok, however, the picture says "The Voynich manuscript", not "Das Voynich Manuskript". One would think that the title of a German edition would also be in German.
Quote:With duncle and occult Intentions attempt your opponents, the Goal before to reach you - whatever the cost...

Sounds like me trying to get the crowded bar to order another round of drinks on a Friday night  Tongue

I must admit I didn't know what a "Duncle" was, so You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. I fail to see how this fits into the Voynich world. Still, I am all for inclusivity so will not lodge any objections  Cry

Later: Christ, just found You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. Ah, to be a redneck and to have such linguistic concerns.
Another AI SNAFU?
duncle = dunkel  German for 'dark'.
Just pre-ordered it for my ephemera collection. Looks fantastic!
Pages: 1 2