The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Book: The Gambler and the Scholars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
SpringerLink published this year a book about Friedmans, and touches the Voynich question also.

The Gambler and the Scholars
Herbert Yardley, William & Elizebeth Friedman, and the Birth of Modern American Cryptology
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Might be quite entertaining to read.
The Voynich sections are very short and light on details. The only things of interest I could find (and which I'm not sure I've heard about before) are the following:

1. Edith Rickert was interested in the Voynich Manuscript! I don't why I find this strange, but it's odd to think that when not discussing Chaucer Manly and Rickert were discussing the Voynich Manuscript. I guess this is a well-known fact, but I seem to have glossed over it.

2. That the Second Study Group created a 692-page "Keyword in Context" cross-reference. I wonder if that was saved and whether they wrote any notes on it?
Nick Pelling wrote about Edith Rickert in his blog already many years ago, including a photo of her.

I guess this is one of these cases from now forgotten times where men still got the limelight and the role of women tended to be overlooked. The Friedmans are a case in point, as the book probably points out. (It should).

I came across Edith Rickert in correspondence with Voynich and she seems to have been as keen as Manly, and she seems to have played a role in making Voynich realise his mistaken understanding of the Marci letter.

Anyone who wants to know more can type 'Rickert' at the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..
(01-08-2023, 11:50 PM)Emma May Smith Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.2. That the Second Study Group created a 692-page "Keyword in Context" cross-reference. I wonder if that was saved and whether they wrote any notes on it?

Short answer: Yes, it was saved and at least was part of the Friedman Collection, which is still held by the George C. Marshall Foundation Library, catalog number 1609.3.

But you can't view it online nor does it come up in a search of their catalog. Jim Reeds investigated the work of the 1962-1963 second study group and indicated that the RCA transcription printout was close to illegible. In theory, you could enquire with the Marshall Library for a copy (for a fee) or, if you would be able to go there in person, schedule a research appointment but there would be no point if no legible copy still exists. It is unlikely there are any other copies of the work, at least nothing came up in my search. Friedman had originally planned to publish the results of the group but the work was terminated early and then his health deteriorated and he stopped work on the VM. The NSA does have its own Friedman Collection, over 52,000 pages, but those are official papers, the majority of it is from 1930-1955 (Friedman retired in 1956), the PDF documents may be partially unreadable (due to the age of the carbon hardcopies when declassified and converted), and some of the collection has not yet been declassified so it is unlikely that collection includes anything from the second study group.

Jim Reeds, William F. Friedman’s Transcription of the Voynich Manuscript, abstract, 9/7/1994, pg 6

Jim Reeds, Voynich Manuscript Bibliography, scroll to Manuscripts item 20

George C. Marshall Foundation Library Collections list and FAQs

NSA Friedman Collection
Do we know if the cross-reference (and not only the transcription) has survived?
The way I read it in Jim Reeds' PDF, 1609.3 is the cross-reference and it was a computer printout. But 1609.4 may still be useful and at least partially legible and the 63-page transcription was part of that. Try emailing the library and see if they will confirm what is still legible of the two catalog items. If it is legible still and if it isn't too expensive to do so, you might see if they will provide you a copy. I tried searching online for another copy, even using the keyword KWIC, which is apparently still a very common term, and came up with nothing else. But who knows? If the library no longer has a legible copy, I suppose it is possible there is a surviving copy elsewhere. However, in that event, I have no idea how you would find out who has it or where it is. Maybe someone here has some suggestions.
The document: The Friedman Collection, an Analytical Guide (657 pages, 3.5 MB) by Rose Mary Sheldon, includes this about the document (and a few with similar numbers):

Quote:Item 1609, 1609.1, 1609.2
Anonymous (Voynich Manuscript).
Large gray folder containing “Tenative IBM Transcript,” made at Arlington Hall by officers
awaiting discharge at the end of WWII. Two sheets in handwriting of WFF (2 Xerox pages, copy
of same without WFF comments and assessment of the Ms. characters.) About 12-15 xerox or
mimeograph copies (VALUABLE). Also WFF’s notations as to appearance and no-appearance
of certain manuscript characters as initial letters and frequency of the former. Also, folder
containing frequency tables and other data compiled at Arlington Hall; one sheet of WFF’s
handwriting showing his analysis of compound characters unused in the Ms-xerox copies of this.
Two sheets in WFF’s handwriting (one signed and dated June 13, 1944) as agreed at meeting on
June 9, 1944. Very important. Captain Mark Rhoads, Ret. was in charge of this project at
Arlington Hall.

Item 1609.3
Anonymous, RCA Computer run of characters of certain chosen pages in the Voynich
Manuscript.

Item 1609.4
Anonymous.
Minutes of RCA meeting where project Voynich Ms. was launched. Also incomplete
computer run and keys used for 301 computer.

Item 1610
Part I, WFF backfile, Friedman, William F., Voynich Manuscript.
This file contains numerous letters exchanged between WFF and both Dr. & Mrs. Voynich
and many other persons who were more or less directly or indirectly concerned with this famous
and mysterious manuscript. Correspondence with Anne Nill, Father T. C. Petersen and A.
Howard Carter. 1924-1961.