The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: A new Timm & Schinner publication regarding the Malta conference
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Torsten Timm and Andreas Schinner have published on 19. of July a study related to the material of the Voynich Malta 2022 conference.
I don't have access to it but abstract is below.

"Abstract

The International Conference on the Voynich Manuscript 2022 at the University of Malta has covered many aspects of the current Voynich manuscript research. We discuss a representative selection of the conference proceedings, in particular the question of existing versus non-existing linguistic structures that indicate some underlying meaningful text.
"

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(01-08-2023, 01:16 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I don't have access to it but abstract is below.

Me neither, 50 € seems a bit greedy to me. It's a pity that potentially interesting articles hide behind such paywalls.
I notice sometimes authors provide a copy or an earlier version of the article for free.  Are some journals more flexible about that than others, or is it down to the author?
(01-08-2023, 02:59 PM)tavie Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I notice sometimes authors provide a copy or an earlier version of the article for free. 
Yes, I think Timm & Schinner did it that way on one of their earlier articles. I can't remember which it was.

(01-08-2023, 02:59 PM)tavie Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Are some journals more flexible about that than others, or is it down to the author?
Some journals are actually more flexible than others. Springer for example ( see Scarecrow`s other thread ) also wants money for articles / books but you can log in with your institute account ( university ) and then most offers are free.
Call me crazy but if their study of the conference proceedings isn't accessible except for a fee on the publisher site, why not review the post-conference materials and videos and form your own conclusions?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. shared the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. link in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. on April 2, 2023. And she shared the link to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. on January 10, 2023. Almost all of the conference programme has correlating proceedings posted, although the materials site does say 32 papers were submitted and only 16 were included in this volume.

Now that said, it may be that Timm and Schinner's study, having just been published, it may be awhile before it is more readily accessible. But You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. currently on the Academia.edu site saying that Torsten Timm hasn't uploaded the paper yet but also providing a link to request a PDF copy. You have to sign up and login first but the registration appears to be free, though some features are limited to paid subscribers.
Imagine paying to submit your paper to the conference (which is the normal part) and then paying more to read a review of it.
(02-08-2023, 05:04 AM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Imagine paying to submit your paper to the conference (which is the normal part) and then paying more to read a review of it.

Noting that you got a first review for free...
My guess as to what this paper says: “We find our theory of a stochastically generated and linguistically meaningless VMs robustly supported, particularly by Bowern & Lindemann, and are doubling down on it.”
(02-08-2023, 04:40 AM)merrimacga Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. Almost all of the conference programme has correlating proceedings posted, although the materials site does say 32 papers were submitted and only 16 were included in this volume.

The other 16 were the ones that didn't make it through the review process.
(02-08-2023, 05:04 AM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Imagine paying to submit your paper to the conference (which is the normal part) and then paying more to read a review of it.
By the way, as far as I know Timm and Schinner did not attend the conference or am I wrong ? A review of it will therefore be a bit strange either way. There will probably have been some exchange about the talks that people outside the conference didn't catch.

I would be interested to know if Timm and Schinner may have submitted a paper to the conference and been rejected.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5