The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: f66r - mandelmus?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've spent quite some time looking at medieval cookbooks in German these days, and one of the things I noticed is that they often include the ingredient "mandel", i.e almonds. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. that gave us the previously noticed attestation "mandelmich", also has a recipe form "mandelmuos":

Quote:So du wilt machen ein mandelmus . so nim mandelmilch . vnd semelin broet . vnd snide daz wuerfeleht vnd tuo daz in die mandelmilch vnd erwelle daz . vnd nim einen apfel vnd snit den wuerfeleht . vnd roest den in eime smaltze . vnd tuo daz vf daz mandelmuos . vnd gibz hin .

If you want to make almond butter, then take almond milk, and some kind of bread etc...

Ever since I learned about the medieval cook's love for "mandeln", something kept nagging at me about f66r. It's probably nothing, since it requires a number of steps to be true and then still isn't perfect. But then again, perfect is much to ask in a Voynich context.

[attachment=7452]

Apart from the separate glyph, we've got three "words". All four chunks of text (the glyph and the three words) are thrown haphazardly onto the page. There is no clear line or paragraph. This is the first 'stretch': we would need the order to be left-middle-right (*en *el mus) rather than top-bottom (*en mus *el).

The second issue is the two first letters that appear messed up. The bottom word appears to have been written as "mel" first, then corrected to "del". We can see that the word on the left probably said "den" first, but was corrected to something hidden in the fold of the page. So what if they had accidentally switched "m" and "d"? Wrote "denmel" instead of "mendel"?

The third problem is of course that the vowel is an "e" instead of an "a", at least I think it's an e.

Normally I wouldn't give it a second thought, but "pox leber" and "so nim" on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. also point towards recipes. And the first letters have been corrected. An accidental switching of "m" and "d" would explain why. "Mendelmus" does not ignore the corrections but takes them into account. 
The syllabification might have a whole range of explanations. It would also be present in the "den musdel" interpretation. 

Anyway, it will probably remain unsolved, but I thought I'd add this to the options.
I have wondered about this picture and text myself and let me add my own alternative interpretation of the text.

So my bet is that these words are a shortened version of sentence "Jeder muss scheissen"

Even with small knowledge of German (like me) you should know what it means Big Grin 

And it would fit the picture - some ill woman holding her stomach, a bucket and some "balls"  Wink
[attachment=7479]

That's more or less what I imagine with this picture, and I read the text accordingly.
A kind of embalming.

I also think of the emperor (name forgotten) who died in Milan. He was preserved in wine and then transported to Vienna.

In English as best they could.
das You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.:
MMehl aus verschiedenen Getreidearten (weize, hirse, haber u. a.), wie es zur Zubereitung von Brei und anderen einfachen Speisen verwendet wird‹; zu mus (das) 1, 1mel 1.
›Flour from different types of grain (weize, horse, haberetc.), as used in the preparation of porridge and other simple dishes‹;togo (the) 1, 1mel 1.
(13-07-2023, 04:08 PM)Juan_Sali Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.das You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Makese sense conceptually, but the article "den" wouldn't fit.
(13-07-2023, 04:43 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Makese sense conceptually, but the article "den" wouldn't fit.
Speculating this word could be denn as double letters sometimes werent written, or even You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (dan), and it  has a sense: 
und den musmel (and then musmel).
If one now looks at "muss" as "mus" and classifies it as "porridge", and the "mel" as an example "flour", it should still read "Mehlmus / flour mush" (flour porridge), or simply dough and not vice versa.
(13-07-2023, 05:17 PM)Juan_Sali Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Speculating this word could be denn as double letters sometimes werent written, or even You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (dan), and it  has a sense: 
und den musmel (and then musmel).
A sample of denn as then in a receipt book, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., page 21 :
[attachment=7496]
In the middel line: nym denn weisz gebets brot  (take then white prayer bread).
It is simply that there is no "musmel". "melmus" would be possible. Either one reads it as "muss mel", in which case it would also be correct. Anything goes, except "musmel".
In your example, he also writes "holdernmus" and not "musholder".
But since there has been a change and the "m" is now under the "d", this is unnecessary.

If the professor had written at the time that it was not a "d" but a messed-up "k", everyone would say today that it means "ken muskel", not a muscle, and everyone would be happy.
But that would also be wrong.
(17-07-2023, 03:54 PM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.It is simply that there is no "musmel"
As I posted earlier, the word You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. exists, if you go to the link you can see samples of the word:

Kurrelmeyer, Dt. Bibel 5, 198, 7 (Straßb. 1466): ein weip das nam vnd breit ein decksale vber den munde des brunn: als sy derret geneute gersten oder muͦsmelb [Luther 1545, 2. Sam. 17, 19: Grütze].

Maaler 295v (Zürich 1561): Muͦßmaͤl (das) Pultificum far.

Hipper, Urk. St. Ulrich 261, 28 (schwäb., 1431): 1 rättemsib, 2 müßmelsib, 1 fesenrewtter.

Dertsch, Urk. Kaufb. 1011 (schwäb., 1465): zugemuͤß als schoͤnmelw, muͦßmelw, gesotten haber, [...], gestampfet gersten.

Baumann, Bauernkr. Oberschw. 58, 6 (schwäb., v. 1542): wan ain theure kam, liesen sy den haber zu mußmel machen und gaben in der wochen armen leuten muß.

Gehring, Würt. Ländl. Rechtsqu. 3, 735, 29 (schwäb., 1585): es soll keiner und keine den juden oder judinen weder wenig noch vil, [...], es seye cohren, roggen, haber, gersten, bieren, öpfel, muoßmehl, schönmehl, milch, ayer, [...] nichts zu kaufen geben.

Dirr, Münchner Stadtr. 452, 22 (moobd., um 1365): Ez sol chain fragner ze der wochen mer chauffen ze muͦsmel dann ein schaeffel waitzens oder cherns [...]; dem richter 60 dn, der stat ½ lb dn und 1 viertail muͦsmel.

Another thing is if the text in the VMS is mus mel, musmel, or another interpretation.
Pages: 1 2