The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Abbreviations, anyone?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know that the potential use of abbreviations has been an ongoing topic. Here is a manuscript with a particular part of the text noted for the use of abbreviations. Perhaps it is useful. Better to be redundant than silent.

Beromünster, Stiftskirche St. Michael, Ms. C 14
Paper · 265 ff. · 21 x 15 cm · Beromünster · second half of the 14th century / 15th century
Compendium morale de avibus / de quadrupedibus – Heinrich von Langenstein, De discretione spiritum – Johannes Gerson, Opus tripartitum de praeceptis Decalogi, de confessione, et de arte moriendi – Bonaventura, De praeparatione ad missam – Moralitates super evangelium sancti Lucae – Jacobus de Cessolis, De ludo scachorum (excerpts) – Sermon on Mary
Composite manuscript of catechetical-ascetic content, in quarto format on paper. Three fascicles of various strengths. The oldest is from the second half of the 14th century; it is written by Albert von Münnerstadt, Conventual from the Commandry of the Teutonic Knights of Hitzkirch, and contains Moralitates super evangelium sancti Lucae. In the second half of the 15th century, probably in Beromünster, this was bound together with two natural science Compendia moralia (excerpts from Thomas of Cantimpré's encyclopedia) and with catechetical treatises by Heinrich von Langenstein, Johannes Gerson and Bonaventure. Scholarly manuscript for regular use in the area of pastoral care (hasty hand with numerous abbreviations, especially in the third fascicle). (luz)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Here is the direct link to the above manuscript.
Beromünster, Stiftskirche St. Michael, Ms. C 14

Anyone know *anything* about the third fascicile?? The last thing listed is a "Sermon on Mary". Mariology has certainly been in the discussion previously.

What is quite surprising is today's cross referencing with Beromünster.
It's heavily abbreviated but not unusually so.
Fascicle C starts here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Quote:Hoc nomen Maria quinque habet litteras. Ad denominandum quod ipsa est figurata per 5 dominas veteris testamenti quarum nomina incipiunt ab aliqua istarum litterarum. Et etiam per v lapides preciosos. et similiter incipiunt ab aliqua istarum litterarum. Prima littera huius nominis …
Five letters, five ladies, five precious stones, is this some sort of Marian 'numerical mysticism' based on the number five?

The VMs zodiac has five consecutive houses with medallions involving pairings. Just saying.
It is interesting to see some of the Voynich - abbr. in their natural habitat
(05-04-2023, 10:26 AM)Helmut Winkler Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.It is interesting to see some of the Voynich - abbr. in their natural habitat
It's a bit early, 14th century...

Endings that look more like Voynichese "aiiin" were common in the 15th century, sometimes with long sequences of minims.

[attachment=7280]
"in annum"

If they had the same function, you would expect to find iiiiin or at least a few iiiin in the Voynich, but there isn't any...
Of course there are, only you make the same mistake most people make, you read annum, you could read avium/auium as well, the best example is the famous daiin, which really is d' aui. And I think it is rather around 1400

Edit: The additional minim in your annum example doed not matter, it is the problem of reading a Textura
(05-04-2023, 01:39 PM)Helmut Winkler Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Of course there are, only you make the same mistake most people make, you read annum, you could read avium/auium as well, the best example is the famous daiin, which really is d' aui.
I read annum because it is annum in this example. I did not mean or imply that it is always annum.

"Of course there are"
Where? The Longest EVA "ai*n" sequence is "aiiin" in the VMs. There is no "aiiiin", no "aiiiiin". Why?
The of course is misleading, what I meant is that  you have ambiguous ways of writing, at least for us, I am sure not for he V. writer or scribe. He knew what he was writing and abbreviated just this way, there are other comparable examples. The transliterations floaing around do not make sense, they are the reason our enigma has not been solved. As I have said for a long time, the Vms is readable as it is, the question is the meaning. I am afraid we will have to start  guessing in some places. As a matter of fact, I have heard of another similar example
Pages: 1 2