The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Quire and bifolio patterns for strangely-aligned text
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was struck by Lisa Fagin Davis's remark during the recent Voynich Manuscript conference about the apparent organization of scribal production by bifolio.  I knew that each bifolio tends to be associated with a particular scribe (or occasionally two), and that when a quire contains text by multiple scribes, their contributions tend to occupy different bifolios.  In the past I think I've assumed this was a sign of bifolios being reshuffled at some point (since there's ample evidence of that happening in some cases): i.e., that Quire 4 contains a single Scribe 2 bifolio because that bifolio had originally been somewhere else.  But the alternative idea that each bifolio was created separately, and that the results were subsequently assembled into quires, seems interesting, and I was curious to see if there were any other patterns (besides scribal attribution) that might point in this direction, or might shed further light on what was going on production-wise ("bifolio as a functional unit"?).

Here's one, perhaps: in both of the first two quires, strange alignments appear specifically on both recto pages of the outermost bifolio.  In Quire 1, both You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. have the final words of all their paragraphs aligned to (or near) the right margin: four cases on f1r, three on f8r.  In Quire 2, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. each contain one paragraph starting with [p] that has a centered final line, along with one or two other paragraphs starting with [t] that don't.  There are no other cases of similarly strange alignment to be found in either quire: just on the two recto pages of each outermost bifolio.

I think it's fair to hypothesize that pages with similarly strange alignment are somehow related to one another and that related pages are likely to have been written consecutively -- though of course neither point is guaranteed.

If so, that might suggest that:

1. The outermost bifolios of Quire 1 and Quire 2 were composed distinctly, in some sense, from the rest of their quires.
2. The recto pages of those two bifolios were also composed distinctly from the verso pages.  (Note that the strange formatting of one recto page wouldn't have been visible as a model during the preparation of the other recto page.)
3. As bifolios were assembled into quires, somehow these two -- with similar characteristics -- both ended up on the outside of their quires, and right at the beginning of the quire sequence (or at least what's now the beginning).

If we follow this thread further into the manuscript, we continue to find other potentially interesting patterns in the locations of strangely-aligned text at the ends of paragraphs.

In Quires 3 and 4, each of the outer two or three bifolios contains one recto page with strange alignment, but alternating between the first and second recto page -- never both, and never the same one twice in a row.  Then, further in towards the center of the quire, one additional bifolio in each of these quires instead displays strange alignment on one or both of its verso pages, rather than on a recto page.

Quire 3:
  • [Alternating recto pages:]
  • Outermost bifolio = You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. / You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. / f24r / You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
  • Second bifolio in = f18r / You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. / You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. / You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
  • [Switch to verso:]
  • Third bifolio in = You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. / f19v / You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. / f22v
  • Innermost bifolio = You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. / You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. / You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. / You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. [no strange alignment]

Quire 4:
  • [Alternating recto pages:]
  • Outermost bifolio = f25r / You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. / You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. / You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
  • Second bifolio in = You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. / You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. / f31r / You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
  • Third bifolio in = f27r / You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. / You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. / You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
  • [Switch to verso:]
  • Innermost bifolio = You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. / f28v / You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. / You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

In Quire 5, the outermost two bifolios each have one page with strange alignment (f40v, f39r), this time with the "inner" case being on the second recto page and the "outer" case being on the second verso page.

Quire 6 is trickier to assess.  In the outermost bifolio, f48r has a centered final line that seems to be avoiding an illustration, but the preceding line is also centered in a way that the illustration wouldn't have required.  The second bifolio in has strange alignment on both You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. -- it's unusual for "mixing" recto and verso.  The third bifolio in has strange alignment on f46v, of a peculiar kind (the seventh line of the paragraph is split into two halves with a gap between, with the second half establishing the left margin for the rest of the paragraph -- partly to avoid an illustration, but that wouldn't explain what's happening in the seventh line specifically).  If these cases all "count" as unusual alignment, then this quire would follow a pattern of alternation vaguely like that of Quires 3 and 4.

There's no similarly strange alignment in Quire 7.  Quire 8 is missing its three inner bifolios but has strange alignment on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (a centered line at the end of one paragraph).  That brings us to the end of the opening botanical section, which is as far as I'm going to go here.

Observations for Quires 1-8:

1. When a single bifolio contains two pages with strange alignment, they're always on opposite faces of the membrane (front/back), and they're usually on the same side (right or left), with the pairing f43r/f43v being the only exception to the latter rule.  No bifolio has strange alignment on more than two of its pages, or on any two pages that would have been simultaneously visible during writing.
2. Within a quire, any verso pages with strange alignment usually appear further inward than any recto pages with strange alignment, with Quire 5 being the only exception (f39r is further inward than f40v).
3. Within a quire, two adjacent bifolios never contain a page with strange alignment in the same position (i.e., first recto, first verso, second recto, or second verso); and two pages with strange alignment never face one another.
4. Some of the bifolios with strange alignment are attributed to Scribe 1, and others to Scribe 2.

For the cases of "alternation" (e.g., the outer three bifolios of Quire 4), I wonder if there's any consistency as to whether the pages with strange alignment appear on the hair side or the flesh side of the vellum, and whether alternate bifolios might have been inverted to bring hair sides adjacent to hair sides and flesh sides adjacent to flesh sides.  I understand it's a tough call to make as to which side is which, given how the vellum was prepared, but does anyone have any data about this?

Thanks for indulging this out-on-a-limb speculation -- I'm just trying to think of what other interesting consequences bifolio-level production might have had.
This is an interesting line of investigation.
The IVTFF indicates three types of 'unusual' paragraph endings:
- centred
- right justified (while not left-justified)
- only the last word(s) right justified after a gap.
The third has traditionally been called 'titles', even though I don't fully remember why.

I am fairly sure that indeed these types of alignment only occur at paragraph endings.

I remember checking that the centred lines occur equally in language A and language B pages
(You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. second example). However, this was long before we had Lisa's hand identifications, so there is scope for further analysis here.
This is an interesting observation, Patrick, although I'm not entirely sure what the implications might be. Such variations in alignment are not unheard of in late-medieval European manuscripts, and often signal the end of a section. Formatting of a page as a scribal practice can be inconsistent, especially in manuscripts like the VMS that aren't high-end, professional products. Everything about the VMS points to it being a low-end production - the sloppy illustrations, the inconsistent writing quality, the poor-quality parchment - and so we probably shouldn't expect that the formatting of pages would necessarily be careful and consistent. So while it is certainly possible that these patterns have meaning, they might also just be the result of scribal whim.

I think it likely that the herbal quires, at least, were originally each restricted to the work of a single scribe, and that the mix-ups happened during an early rebinding (perhaps after the catastrophic water damage occurred).
(12-12-2022, 02:58 PM)LisaFaginDavis Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I think it likely that the herbal quires, at least, were originally each restricted to the work of a single scribe, and that the mix-ups happened during an early rebinding (perhaps after the catastrophic water damage occurred).

That was my original assumption too, and if I read something else into some of your remarks at the conference, I'm willing to admit I may have been reading something into them other than was there.

(12-12-2022, 02:58 PM)LisaFaginDavis Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.So while it is certainly possible that these patterns have meaning, they might also just be the result of scribal whim.

I could easily imagine the centered final paragraphs being a scribal whim.  I'm less sure about that third category of unusual alignment Rene mentions (Pt = "only the last word(s) right justified after a gap") -- the examples on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. especially.  Off the top of my head, the only formatting I can remember seeing that looks like this is in financial records, where the right-justified text in the last line following the gap represents a sum of money.  But I'd be interested to know if this kind of formatting turns up in other situations besides, either meaningfully or not.
A right-aligned word at the end of a page in a European medieval manuscript would likely be a catchword (that is, a repetition of the first word(s) of the next leaf, as a guide for the scribe and the binder...generally found at the end of a quire, but sometimes on every verso), but that isn't the case in the VMS. There aren't any right-aligned word(s) at the end of a page that match the beginning word(s) of any other leaves.
That is why I think that in the introduction f1, the right-justified words are the markers for the carpels.

For me, it would make sense that way. But I did not pursue the matter any further.
(12-12-2022, 10:00 PM)LisaFaginDavis Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.A right-aligned word at the end of a page in a European medieval manuscript would likely be a catchword (that is, a repetition of the first word(s) of the next leaf, as a guide for the scribe and the binder...generally found at the end of a quire, but sometimes on every verso), but that isn't the case in the VMS. There aren't any right-aligned word(s) at the end of a page that match the beginning word(s) of any other leaves.

Also, on f1r and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. there are right-aligned words at the end of every paragraph, and not just one at the bottom of the page, which doesn't seem to fit the catchword model either.

Here are a couple examples of similar-looking formatting, both taken from seventeenth-century manuscripts that are obviously much later than what we're looking at in the Voynich Manuscript, and that I chose only because they were conveniently at hand:

[attachment=7050]
[attachment=7051]

In both cases, the right-aligned text at the end of each entry (or "paragraph"?) represents a sum of money associated with the preceding description.  In these two cases, there's a dotted line connecting the end of the main text with the right-aligned part, but that isn't always present; sometimes there's only a gap, as in this third example (undated, but probably mid-to-late sixteenth century):

[attachment=7054]

I'd be surprised if this type of formatting wasn't already being used for financial records in the fifteenth century, though I don't know this for a fact.

I don't suppose this is probably quite what's happening in the Voynich Manuscript, but maybe both cases at least serve a similar logic -- one where the right-justified text represents some specific kind of information associated with the longer text preceding it, formatted so as to make it easy to find quickly, without needing to hunt for it.
(11-12-2022, 05:59 PM)pfeaster Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.But the alternative idea that each bifolio was created separately, and that the results were subsequently assembled into quires, seems interesting, and I was curious to see if there were any other patterns (besides scribal attribution) that might point in this direction, or might shed further light on what was going on production-wise ("bifolio as a functional unit"?).

There are indeed some hints pointing in the direction that the bifolios were created separately. There are for instance the illustrations in the balneological section. In my eyes the illustrations for the f75/f84 as well as for the f78/f81 bifolio look similar and are probably related.

Another point is the distribution of EVA-m (see You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.) in Currier A. On some bifolios there is not a single instance of EVA-m. See for instance the f2/f7 and the f20/f21 bifolios. But for Currier A there are bifolios like f3/f5 and f17/f24 where EVA-m is frequently used. Moreover on f3/f5 as well as on f17/f24 EVA-m is used all over the page. And there are also bifolios where EVA-m is rarely used like on the f10/f15 as well as on the f11/f14 bifolio.
Quote:There are indeed some hints pointing in the direction that the bifolios were created separately. There are for instance the illustrations in the balneological section. In my eyes the illustrations for the f75/f84 as well as for the f78/f81 bifolio look similar and are probably related.

F78 f81 are the center of the quire and as such create a centrefold drawing, thus yes i would say the two sides that form the centerfold are definitely related. The other mentions are only related in terms that they both show blue and green bodies of water with respective non literal relationships indicated. All are however connected contiguously when placed in the correct order and orientation, with two exceptions that can be considered to create an alternative ending rather than an incongruity. I think they were planned, at least for quire 13.
(14-12-2022, 12:31 AM)Torsten Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.On some bifolios there is not a single instance of EVA-e.
Only on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and f36r.

Quote:See for instance the f2/f7 and the f20/f21 bifolios.
What do they have in common?
Pages: 1 2