The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: How do you prefer to abbreviate "Voynich Manuscript"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Out of habit, I always write "VM", but I noticed most people seem to prefer "VMS". This is just a quick poll to check. It's about what you use, not what you think might be the "best" or most correct.
I don't. I write "Voynich manuscript", but I don't care what others write as long as it is clear to me what they mean.
However if running polls. The two questions that I would be curious to have answers to are the following:

1) What you think think the Voynich writing represents: A known or unknown language in an unknown script, a cipher, generated or just make-up nonsense, other(please specify)

2) What do you think the Rosettes folio represents: An elemental diagram, a cosmological diagram, a biological diagram, a cartographic diagram/map, an architectural drawing, other(please specify) [There may be a better list of options than I have provided]
Normally everybody should be able to start polls.

As far as the abbreviation goes, I agree that all that matters is whether or not it is easily understood. There are other cases where several abbreviations are acceptable, like c. and ca. for "circa". I was just curious to see which would be the most popular one.
I usually use Ms or MS, either, but, it seems, the first one - more often.
I usually use the abbreviation "VMS". I just got into the habit of doing that. Maybe it would be better to use the signature MS 408 but that is not so short.
VM, VMS, MS doesn't really matter here because everyone understands it anyway.
But if I were in another place where the topic is a one-off, I would write it differently.
Perhaps first an explanation of the name, but later also an abbreviation.
I use VMs, though all are basically equivalent for forum discussion.
I always say "Beinecke MS 408"  Big Grin
The word "Manuscript" is typically abbreviated as "MS" or "Ms" (the difference is mostly a matter of style, I think), hence I typically use VMS, not VM. In my field of occupation, the acronym VM stands for "virtual machine", so I tend to avoid it when referring to the Voynich Manuscript, although VMS is longer.

"Beinecke MS 408" would be correct from the academic style viewpoint, but it's cumbersome to type it over and over.
Pages: 1 2