The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Page numbering was done by at least 4 scribes.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Finally, I finished a blog dedicated to numbers. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

I would be grateful for examples indicating the territories where the ordinal number octavus is written through U, W, V.
[attachment=6634]
I was just there and read it. I think you have some thinking errors.
Here it has nothing to do with the ending "us". It's just numbers 29,39,49

With the written "nig + zig + cig"...
So they are numbers in words. Example: zwanzig, dreisig, vierzig ...  twenty, thirty, forty.
Here, as an example, "2zig"= zwanzig twenty.

"nig" is an Allemanic variant. "10nig" zänig  is a number.
In Switzerland it is sometimes still used, rarely, but it is there.
What you highlighted with a red circle is an insert from vms. The numbering of sections in the proposed manuscript is duplicated in words.
Since I have to read W.s blog with the help of a translation tool, I'll read it again tomorrow, when I am less sleepy.

Just two remarks:

1) I am not sure everyone is aware of the fact, that the quire numbers are somewhere late 15th c. and the foliation is a lot later, maybe (I think so) as late as the 17th c.

2) If you write octavus or  octauus is a question off the script you are using, it is nothing to do with region or dialect, common for the 15th c. is the writing with u, the v goes nearly out of use, the humanists used it more again, but you can have a mixed use as well as you can see in the ms. you are quoting

As I have said before, I am very doubtful re different scribes, the numerals used on the quires could well be from the original scribe, the foliation is sure from a different scribe and there are the marginalia and 116v of course
Thanks Helmut.
Explanation
The numbers of the hands (3 in total) that numbered the notebooks do not correspond to the numbers of the hands that numbered the pages (4+?).
In what kind of situation would so many people number the pages? This sounds extremely unlikely to me - if you start numbering something, wouldn't you number it all the way through?
For example, if the page number was used as a "quality mark" (personal signature) when checking the text by different people. And in the case of tricky coding, this is a time-consuming process. There were revisions and corrections!