The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Evidence for Spice Trade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have found evidence of spice trade in the text and I would like to know if there are any plants that can be part of the spices that were loaded on ships, just by relying on the figures.
None that I can think of off-hand, but JKP's your man there
There was a guy called Thomas Spande on Nick Pelling's site who had the same idea.

He made many tentative ID's but how good they were is a moot point.
(10-07-2021, 02:44 PM)DONJCH Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.There was a guy called Thomas Spande on Nick Pelling's site who had the same idea.

He made many tentative ID's but how good they were is a moot point.

Do you remember the plants with their associated page? I can examine the characteristics.
(12-07-2021, 10:06 AM)Pardis Motiee Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Do you remember the plants with their associated page?

Just hit this page and scroll down to ~March 2016
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

He found a book about Marco Polo and got all excited. There were many posts.

I too would generally trust JKP though, he is thorough, skeptical and very very experienced in VM research.
Yes, it's very long. Pepper, wild ginger, and turmeric had been mentioned. I don't agree with pepper at all. Wild ginger I doubt it and turmeric, I have nothing to say. Out of spices, mulberry seems a great identification in my view. The person is identifying based on Yin Yang and classical Chinese materia medica which I am not familiar with. I hope we can hear JKP's opinion on the possibility of spice trade.
The possibility of spice trade has been discussed before such as in this thread
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

As Koen said in that thread
"It feels more plausible if you think of it as various chains linking together in a network, instead of just a direct connection between Australia and Europe."