The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: possible indirect references to VMS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone found any indirect mentions of the VMS? Possibly someone mentioning a strange book with naked nymphs in it? Its possible someone saw it in the first 200 yrs and wrote about it?
It has been argued that all references to the VMS are indirect, in that they do not directly reference the book but make mention of strange alphabets and the like.
The topic is amply explored.
However, I am unaware of any "indirect", ie, given a modern linkage, reference to the book mentioned in its provenance.
(05-02-2021, 10:11 PM)Pythagoras Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Has anyone found any indirect mentions of the VMS? Possibly someone mentioning a strange book with naked nymphs in it? Its possible someone saw it in the first 200 yrs and wrote about it?

Yes, but by their very nature it is not certain that these refer indeed to the Voynich MS.

It is important to remember that the MS would have been far less unusual to a 15th or 16th century viewer than it is now.

Then it was just an unreadable book. This made it less interesting rather than more (*).

Now it is the only book using this writing system, that the most powerful computers in the world cannot decode after 600 years. That makes it more interesting rather than less.

- - - 

(*) Except of course, to a minority of people
(06-02-2021, 08:06 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(05-02-2021, 10:11 PM)Pythagoras Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Has anyone found any indirect mentions of the VMS? Possibly someone mentioning a strange book with naked nymphs in it? Its possible someone saw it in the first 200 yrs and wrote about it?

Yes, but by their very nature it is not certain that these refer indeed to the Voynich MS.

It is important to remember that the MS would have been far less unusual to a 15th or 16th century viewer than it is now.

Then it was just an unreadable book. This made it less interesting rather than more (*).

Now it is the only book using this writing system, that the most powerful computers in the world cannot decode after 600 years. That makes it more interesting rather than less.

- - - 

(*) Except of course, to a minority of people

can you elaborate on any such indirect references?
(06-02-2021, 08:18 AM)Pythagoras Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.can you elaborate on any such indirect references?

No, I'm sorry. They are part of soon-to-be-published work.

(Unfortunately, it has been "soon" for quite some time now).
(06-02-2021, 09:42 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(06-02-2021, 08:18 AM)Pythagoras Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.can you elaborate on any such indirect references?

fair enough. great that you found something
(06-02-2021, 01:51 PM)Pythagoras Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(06-02-2021, 09:42 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

fair enough. great that you found something

That wasn't just me....
Otherwise I'd have more liberty to talk about it.
soon => phonetic: coen =>  anagram for ceon: once.

Looking forward to it!  Rolleyes
@Rene
Yes, exactly. We'll be looking forward to that soon too.
But you can say one thing.
Is it to Prague? That would certainly be interesting.
Or is it before Prague ? That would be a miracle.
How soon is now?