The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: scratch marks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
pretty sure these would have been discussed in another thread already but i couldn't find it.

what are the leading thoughts about these scratch marks/symbols?

[attachment=5209]

the one on 86v3 looks like the circle maps that are found in many other manuscripts that represent east/west and south.

with possibly a name that is hard to make out, but kind of looks like it resembles babylon or byzanthium.

but what of these others?

[attachment=5210]

[attachment=5212]

are there more of these?

is it possible they all represent the E/W schism of roman empire? or more to them than that?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
They're called chicken scratches.
As you can imagine nobody knows what they are.
this is my stab at reading the main one. could be wrong though.

[attachment=5213]

Its possibly about the fall of Constantinople.
even if there were any truth to any interpretations of these scratch marks, there is no way to verify them to be contemporary with the carbon dating. they couldve been added to the manuscript afterwards. but then again some of them appear to contain ink such as the last one here (perhaps the same ink as the root next to it). a sample could perhaps be dated to see if they are contemporary to the writing and other imagery.
Thank you Pythagoras for bringing these back to the foreground.
It seems that the ones on 86v3 capture more attention, but your post actually made me really look at the 87r one for the first time. 
I had always just seen it as a vague triangular thing, and never noticed that the two perpendicular-ish lines were so perfectly straight, or that the diagonal one actually makes a beautiful swoop, connecting to the end of the horizontal-ish one.
It's quite elegant for a "chicken scratch".
[attachment=5227]
And there appears to be an extra squiggle "hanging" off the left end of the horizontal-ish line, although this is fainter.
A rather unusual design. 
Overall this doesn't strike me as being the work of the same person who made the messy scratches on 86v3.
Are there two scratchers?
(25-01-2021, 06:49 PM)VViews Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.And there appears to be an extra squiggle "hanging" off the left end of the horizontal-ish line, although this is fainter.
A rather unusual design. 
Overall this doesn't strike me as being the work of the same person who made the messy scratches on 86v3.
Are there two scratchers?

its unclear if it is indeed messy or intentional obfuscation (steganogrpahy).
as far as my byzantium-conjecture about the reading of the messy one.
i will say that i have seen this (and had to read this) language code-use before,
where there are intermingling words that make it uncertain about what any particular word means
but with the addition of more words more meaning develops and possibly with extra curricular context
(that is no inherent in the words themselves) it makes more sense.

it is very much analagous to a mix between "find-a-word" puzzles and fuzzy logic.

Its kind of a middle ground between what we normallty think of steganography
which is where a message contained in an image is non obvious to a passer by
and a fully encrypted message. This way, it is not extremely obvious but still peculiar
to investigators, but still retains some level of data hiding to those who dont know the context
or to those who reject it as being merely a scratch.

what is interesting about the 87r one is that they immediately remind me of the church symbol for P.
this symbol is a early christian symbol that represents "tau-rho," not a "chi-rho."
generally speaking the Tao-Rho is thought to be a shortened form of the words "cross" and "crucify" (σταυρος, σταυροω).

this reminds us of bax's mention of Taurus.

so this is indeed a major clue about deciphering the VMS.
thats all i will say there for now.

the lines that make the triangle also remind me of triangulation,
which also has come up more recently in strange unexplained phenomenon.
with any three positions, you can triangulate a signal, that is, you can localise something.
the use of triangulation dates to antiquity.

I dont necessarily imagine two scratchers here, just that the more messy one is more entropic (more information).
The other scratches are simpler symbols. but i agree two scratchers is certainly a possibility.

As interesting as this speculation, the question remains about whether its contemporary or added afterwards by someone else.
Obviously it's not, because the maths weren't there, but it looks a lot like a graphed power function...
I see what you mean about the tau rho. But as always with the Voynich, it resembles something but isn't actually one.
I don't think it's a pen test, simply because quills needed constant recutting and if this is an idle pen test, I'd expect to see more throughout the manuscript.
However, it appears to be done with the same ink as the nearby root.
(26-01-2021, 07:44 PM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Obviously it's not, because the maths weren't there, but it looks a lot like a graphed power function...
I see what you mean about the tau rho. But as always with the Voynich, it resembles something but isn't actually one.
I don't think it's a pen test, simply because quills needed constant recutting and if this is an idle pen test, I'd expect to see more throughout the manuscript.
However, it appears to be done with the same ink as the nearby root.

indeed. perhaps it looks less like a Tau-rho and more like an anti-Tau-rho
Pages: 1 2