The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Movies related to VMS, Linguistics or Antiquarian Literature
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I didn't see a thread dedicating a listing of related movies to the VMS search.

The most obvious one to me is: The Ninth Gate by Roman Polanski starring Johnny Depp.

Another one i saw recently is less to do with literature...
but in it is a relation to language and staring into the abyss which i sometimes think can be seen as relevant to VMS study:  The Empty Man.

I can probably add the one about Alan Turing: The Imitation Game.

Anyone know any more or have any to recommend?
I have heard of TV series that refer to the Voynich.

There was a good movie made from Umberto Eco's book "The name of the Rose".
(31-12-2020, 07:50 AM)Pythagoras Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.starring Johnny Depp

Indeed. He even looks strikingly like Voynich.

[attachment=5080]  [attachment=5081]

Edit: for comparison, here is also the actor in the ORF documentary of 2009.

[attachment=5082]

He wasn't in fact an actor. When the filmmakers went to the post office in Cesky Krumlov, they noticed that one of the people working there looked remarkably like Voynich, and they managed to convince him to play the role. He didn't speak a word of German or English  Smile
Oh of course, how could we forget about the Davinci Code?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

His birthday quite close to 1440s too.

Leonardo da Vinci (14/15 April 1452 – 2 May 1519)

[Image: s-l300.jpg]

[Image: TheDaVinciMoment1.jpg]

No moustache like Depp though.
There is even a German TV series by ZDF called "Pater Castell" with an episode "Das Voynich- Manuskript".

This episode was produced in my school and I was the one, who found the death person. Since then I was fascinated by the manuscript.
Episode of Elementary : Season: Three — Episode: 21
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Where to divert himself Holmes is studying the Voynich manuscript with vms page pictures spread over his table.

Oddly reminiscent of Alan Touwaide on this thread You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.