The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Froggie the frog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here's Froggie the frog (f101v1):
[Image: image.jpg?q=f101v1_102r2-1638-86-322-308]
I think this is the only realistic animal depiction in the VM.
What concordance can we see with other era-similar manuscripts?
I've only collected a few frogs. I probably have more than this, but I can't search for them during the workday.

Sometimes one eye with the head turned, sometimes two eyes.

They tended to draw them in the same way. Sometimes there's a line of dots or dashes down the back, sometimes textures, but the legs are mostly the same:

[attachment=4741]

There are frogs in Bibles (the biblical pestilences), and there are usually frogs in the alchemical manuscripts. I was trying to find examples in a variety of contexts.
[attachment=4742]
There is everything.

But you do not want to have experienced the discussion about the frog.
Hmm, red pill or blue pill? Big Grin 
I have over the years investigated many different frogs. But I've never seen one that fits this situation in a narrative way.
So, is our frog unique? No.
I'm starting to think that Froggie is a mistake, a frog drawn because you'd expect a frog to be there.
In which case, what are the plants? Why is Froggie there, that the scribe draws him in an absent minded way?
(04-09-2020, 10:43 PM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Why is Froggie there, that the scribe draws him in an absent minded way?

Maybe it's one of the ingredients.
Unfortunately deleted. 2015, or so
Actually it was about the origin of the VM.
It is from a book about symbolism and application, meaning.
I think I left the link to the book at Bax.
The picture is safe there.
(04-09-2020, 10:46 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Maybe it's one of the ingredients.
Very possible. But why the only one?
Recipes of the era tended to combine plant and animal indiscriminately.
[attachment=4743]
It all has a meaning.

Can you see the frog?

Actually it is a possibility where you see in the plants.
I am not the first to consider this possibility.
I also rely on the work of others. I just don't know who anymore. Maybe Eliska
Could it be that the artist is referring to him/herself ?
"From the 15th century to our current day, the Renaissance maxim holds true: “Every painter paints himself.”
Beyond straightforward self-portraits, artists through the ages have left special signatures on their canvases"
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Just a sidenote about Biblical frogs: a frog coming from a mouth means speaking blasphemy (there is a very blasphemous dragon in Revelation).
Pages: 1 2