The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: How long is the VMS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In number of words or characters? What short story or novella would it roughly correspond to?
And BTW, how would the Rohonc Codex and the Codex Seraphinianus rank on this scale?
(11-07-2020, 04:08 PM)Tom Mazanec Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.In number of words or characters?
The VMS has 37886 words and 191545 letters (EVA).

Since wc with the parameter -m does not work for me, I measured with the following code:
Code:
cat VMS_Clean_Final.txt | grep -o "[a-zA-Z]" | wc -l
(11-07-2020, 04:32 PM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(11-07-2020, 04:08 PM)Tom Mazanec Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.In number of words or characters?
The VMS has 37886 words and 191545 letters (EVA).

Since wc with the parameter -m does not work for me, I measured with the following code:
Code:
cat VMS_Clean_Final.txt | grep -o "[a-zA-Z]" | wc -l

There is no single answer.

The Takahashi transliteration is 96.8% complete in terms of 'loci' (text items, which may be a completele line, or a label).

The various counts are presented You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. .
(11-07-2020, 05:13 PM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.There is no single answer.
There are of course variations, depending on the corpus, but for an approximate statement it is sufficient in any case.
Quote:The character count using Eva is 194,570
Not too far away, is it?
The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe ,C.S.Lewis – 38,421 words
The Time Machine, H.G. Wells – 32,149 words
The Last Battle, C.S.Lewis – 43,333 words
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Slaughterhouse-Five Kurt Vonnegut - 49,459
Fahrenheit 451 Ray Bradbury - 46,118
The Stranger Albert Camus - 36,014
Old Yeller Fred Gipson - 35,978
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(11-07-2020, 05:26 PM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(11-07-2020, 05:13 PM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.There is no single answer.
There are of course variations, depending on the corpus, but for an approximate statement it is sufficient in any case.
Quote:The character count using Eva is 194,570
Not too far away, is it?

I'm an engineer :-)  so apart from having a number I also want to give an indication of its accuracy or reliability.

The statement
Quote:The VMS has 37886 words and 191545 letters (EVA)
to me gives the wrong impression of accuracy and reliability, that's why I answered.

One could say: "the VMs has approximately 192,000 characters", and then it is approximately right.
Now given that the GC transliteration represents things like ch and cTh as single characters, its count is likely to be more representative. The GC transliteration is also more complete.
Its count is just under 159,000 which is a very different number.

I have a draft definition of a common alphabet that is a superset of all existing alphabets. This allows a direct comparison of all transliterations (quite useful).

In this system, I have the following character counts of the three most complete (published) transliterations:

TT: 155,272
GC: 157,089
ZL:  157,202

The GC and ZL counts are within 0.1% of each other, and the main difference is that GC missed a part of one of the large circles on the Rosettes page. (This was not easy to detect before, but very easy with the use of the common alphabet).

I hope to publish all this soon, but there's too little time for all these interesting things...
(11-07-2020, 07:55 PM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.... to me gives the wrong impression of accuracy and reliability,...
Yes, I always wrongly assume that anyone who deals with the VMS views all delivered data with a healthy skepticism. Not much is "set in stone".
Either way it is much larger than the next largest medieval ciphertext, isn't it? Like muuuuch larger.
And is there any comparison to the CS (which is a "hoax" in that it is alleged by its author to be non-meaningful) and the RC? Are they about the same size?
There is a full manuscript with medical recipes that Rene linked a few years ago that is in a simple substitution code, but I can't remember how many pages it is.
Pages: 1 2