The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Numerological divination
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Recently reading bits of "Magic and Divination at the Courts of Burgundy and France: Text and Context ..."  by Jan R. Veenstra.
Pignon, Oresme and others win out against divination.

Those others were apparently in favor of divination. Thomas de Pisan was an astrologer.

Roland l'Ecrivain was a physician for Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy for 30 years, much of which was prime time for VMs creation. So his artistic style could easily be relevant.

Several books are mentioned, including "Les 12 signes dou firmament".
<first link to a JSTOR file - removed>

The author makes reference to this text which is in the Burgundy library.

KBR Library:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Search by number. 10394-414
Hi R.Sale,
The first link is to a file on your local computer, please amend it to a valid link (you could attach it to your post if it isn't a massive file).
D.
Changes made.
This is proving to be a bit problematic at the moment. This is a collection of 20+ different articles, and the good ones are at the back. 
Number 19, f. 383-399, but image numbers don't match folios. Roughly two images to the folio, plus a fudge factor. And what the heck, I can barely make sense of a single word any way.

There was an online version, but it seems to have some scanning errors: Regles > Regies.

Remains to be seen if this is relevant to the VMs. BUT, it is numerology and it is the Burgundy library, so two out of three on a shot in the dark. It is a shot, it is quite dark. Maybe someone can tell if I've hit anything.  Or not.
More info:  ***

/Users/genoe/Downloads/_book_9789004247376_B9789004247376-s012-preview.pdf

*** For some reason the link won't work. But using the link to search did.
protip : Valid web link should start with https://  Wink
R. Sale, you linked to a file on your hard drive. You need to copy the URL from the browser.
Something is going wrong, but not sure why. All I did was cut and paste. At least the line info seems to work when used to search.

RobGea: That is the same data, but not the same page / link / format that I was seeing.

Anyway, that is the discussion. The actual document is in the Burgundy library and can be located in the much larger book by the blank page and the torn spots. The article speculates that the pages were once pasted together to escape notice.

Search for document: 10394-414,  Images 818 and 819

Not saying this is a magic bullet. But it is an interesting document from a potentially relevant time and place.

Surely it will be even more interesting > to those who can read it!

The internet article states that this text, Regles de divination and the one preceding were written in the same hand. The one preceding is Oultremere. The potential author for this text is King Louis IX, who went on Crusade and is known to have been associated with Pope Innocent IV, mentioned in other investigations.

The text before that should be the Zodiac.
Hi R.Sale , i thnk this is your link from post #5

RobGea:

Strange, somehow the link came up on your previous posting. Yet when I look for it, back there, it's missing.

But now it's the right one & functional.  
Thanks
Pages: 1 2