The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Roland l'Écrivain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Posted long ago:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Wikipedia:

According to this source

On page 130: It says that he was physician to the Duke of Burgundy from Jun 1437 till his death (in 1469?).
Philip the Good was Duke of Burgundy from 1419 to 1467.

Another Burgundy connection.
Nice, I had not yet seen this one.

Even though the style is different than the VM nymphs, they have one thing in common. Strangely bendy, long arms. I wonder why this is the case.
Thanks, here's another link.

Linguistically tailored links and everything  Big Grin

The header image in that wiki is also quite interesting, with all the roots as frames. I don't recall ever having seen anything like that.
I think I can see parallels here in the gestures. Unfortunately, I know nothing about the meaning of the gestures in this visual language and therefore I cannot interpret them.

[Image: gesten.png]

Here's what the NLP image looks like to me...

You could think of it as a stretched out version of Zodiac Man, with the top row of figures generally indicating body parts—not quite as explicit about which part as the more formal zodiac man, just a general reference that different parts are affected by different signs.

The bottom row is the influence of the planets. Notice how there are rays from each of the seven "planets" pointing at each to each of the seven figures.

Thus, there are 12 + 7 figures.

It encapsulates the basic concepts of medieval astro-medicine.
Just to clarify what I mean by "gestures": It is about hand gestures as they are used for example in the Sachsenspiegel. There is a (German language) treatise on this by Karl von Amira. The blackboard looks like this:

[Image: gesten2.png]
This is something that would be great to learn more about. But from what I gather, these gestures are dependent on context? Or are they more or less universel for the medieval period?
This is different, some of the gestures are contextual ( gestures to the law, e.g. "swearing" in the Sachsenspiegel). Other gestures are quite universal. As I said before, I do not know anything concrete about this topic but I am working on it.

edit :
An example of a universal gesture: In medieval illustrated manuscripts, a so-called gesture of speech is often used to indicate which figure is speaking. Here is an example from the Song of Roland; The riding Genelûn speaks to his followers.

[Image: gesten3.png]