The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Info request: Paris, Burgundy, Flanders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Many comparisons have been made between VMs imagery and various historical illustrations. And each of the historical images has its own historical provenance, to one degree or another.

This request for examples is centered on a period of time between 1400 and 1450, but open on either end. It is located to Paris, the Duchy of Burgundy, which included Flanders, Brabant and other places including Luxembourg. However, French history cannot be ignored.

Examples:

c. 1410, Paris; BNF Fr. 565 fol. 23: comparison with VMs cosmos f68v3

1430-1440, Paris; Harley 334 f. 57: comparison with VMs "mermaid" You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Manuscripts, however cannot always be evaluated by their date of creation. They can sometimes be chronologically placed by their record of ownership. Thus the Apocalypse of S Jean, created in 1313, came to be in the library of of Philip the Good, duke of Burgundy.

1419-1467 Burgundy: reign of Philip the Good; BNF Fr. 13096 f 18, the representation of an Agnus Dei image: comparison with the VMs critter You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

1430 - > Burgundy; the Order of the Golden Fleece, historical record: comparison with the VMs critter You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Contributions appreciated.
Hmmm. I have about 60 references from that general area and time period. Maybe more.

They are not all scientifically oriented or textbook oriented. Some are books of hours, a few are poems and romances.

I've gone through all of them looking for imagery, text, and palaeographic samples.

Do you want that many?
Not intending to drop a big task into your schedule. Perhaps we could start with those you feel are the best, strongest, most definitive etc.

THANKS!
Okay, I can't do it until after work, but I'll whittle it down to a smaller list of about 20 that I hope are probably the most relevant (this can sometimes be difficult to gauge but I think I can come up with something reasonably productive).
Still seeking contributions.
R. Sale, did you get the information I emailed several days ago? I sent it to the email addy you have on file on the forum.
Sorry, JKP, I don't seem to have anything regular or in junk.

Will it post here?
It's 33 references and I would prefer not to post it on a public forum. I don't like giving away that much work to passers-by.

If you turn on the PM (personal message) option in your User CP I can send you a link.
Didn't know about that, but - Got it.

How do you want to handle subsequent discussion?

The Nahuatl hypothesis has spent a lot of time in the sun. Perhaps we might move it off into the shade.
(09-05-2020, 04:01 AM)R. Sale Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Didn't know about that, but - Got it.

How do you want to handle subsequent discussion?

The Nahuatl hypothesis has spent a lot of time in the sun. Perhaps we might move it off into the shade.

Okay, sent again. Let me know if it reaches you. Thanks.
Pages: 1 2