The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Solving the 1000-year-old mystery of rare blue medieval paint
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Very interesting read, thanks!
Did the picture in the article Davidsch linked make anyone else take a long hard look at the two flowers / fruits on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ? I thought of this folio immediately just because of the striking use of blue on that one. However, the color of the crude blue paint on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. — more of an indigo to my eye — doesn't fit super closely with the hues described in the article, at least to my unsophisticated eye. And nor do the two flowers or fruits look all that similar to the fruits of the Chrozophora tinctoria, except for being tri-lobed.
It was in my database, but I guess I never followed it up. I only had one pic and a distribution map. The plant likes warmer coastal areas.

I very much enjoyed the article. It really highlights our connections with the past and the importance of this knowledge to conservation efforts (along with being helpful for codicology).

Apparently only a portion of the outer husk is used for the dye. You have to wonder how long it took humans to figure this out.
(20-04-2020, 06:35 PM)RenegadeHealer Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Did the picture in the article Davidsch linked make anyone else take a long hard look at the two flowers / fruits on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ? I thought of this folio immediately just because of the striking use of blue on that one. However, the color of the crude blue paint on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. — more of an indigo to my eye — doesn't fit super closely with the hues described in the article, at least to my unsophisticated eye. And nor do the two flowers or fruits look all that similar to the fruits of the Chrozophora tinctoria, except for being tri-lobed.

The McCrone report states "The blue paint was unambiguously identified as ground azurite with minor amounts of cuprite, a copper oxide." The samples were taken from f26R which has an identical blue to the f56r you refer to. I think it's a safe assumption that those blue flowers on 56r are also azurite.