The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: On the Voynich manuscript
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There is a new paper published about the VMS: "You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view."

The paper by István Daruka can be found You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

The author concludes:
Quote:This pronounced repetitive behavior on the word level is fully incompatible with the natural languages in which the similar word re-occurrence rate function amounts to be zero at zero word separation and it increases until reaching a maximum at some finite word separations (Schinner 2007; Timm 2016).

Quote:The intriguing multilateral statistical-linguistic matches we revealed between the VMS Herbal Section (folios 5r-38v) and the magical Tables of Liber Loagaeth render them into the same linguistic university class.

Quote:This suggests that most likely the Voynich manuscript carries no rationally comprehensible content, offering also a plausible explanation why the ciphertext was unbreakable so far. These inferences together with its fantastic, yet contemporary credible illustrations render the Voynich manuscript most likely an elaborate hoax.
Daruka compares one undecrypted book with another undecrypted book and, from the statistical similarities between the two, concludes one or both is a hoax, really?

Oh, and implicitly concludes that the Voynich's radiocarbon dating is nonsense because John Dee must have been involved in the Voynich's creation? Oh dear. :-(

The Tables of the Liber Loagaeth are a fascinating mystery, and I would like to see Daruka's paper, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope for it based on its abstract, sorry.
"The author thanks Fergus Wilde for bringing John Dee’s little drawing, “the cinnamon girl” into the author’s attention. "

[Image: jrl15100804.jpg]

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Unfortunately the article is overloaded with different topics like the John Dee hypothesis, the comparison with the magic Liber Loagaeth letter Tablets and further evidence demonstrating that the VMs is incompatible with natural language. It is therefore on the reader to distinguish between this topics.
There is something funny going on here.

Well, weird anyway, but no mystery after all.
I'm not quite sure what the author wants to communicate with the "Cinnamon Girl".  Is it the fact that John Dee's work also features an illustration of a naked woman (stylistically completely different from the VMS) ? I probably won't find out, because I'm not willing to spend money on his paper.

Here is a "clean" edition of "Thesaurus Evonymi Philiatri, de remediis secretis". As you can see there is no illustration on the right margin in this printed edition on the same page.

Edit:
Here the whole page with illustration:

Quote:Dee’s copy of the De remediis secretis is most famous for its marginal illustration of the ‘Cinnamon Girl’ (p. 267), found next to Gesner’s discussions on the cosmetic uses of distilled waters, specifically the recipe to beautify the face:

So yes, Dee had a personal copy.
I was wondering myself, why he would specifically thank someone for that.  But i don't need to know either. It just made me think if this is what got him going o  it, it seems a bad way to start.
Other than a little bit of the design in the hair, i see no resemblance to the vms nymphs.
I wouldn't make too much of the Cinnamon girl comment, it is probably just amusing that Dee attempted to draw a pretty girl just to illustrate that the cinnamon recipe makes you look pretty and young. Especially if the author is a fan of Neil Young (or the much better Type O Negative cover).

Quite the enigmatic comments, Rene...
(05-02-2020, 10:28 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Quite the enigmatic comments, Rene

I had some questions/doubts about the author, but they have been mostly resolved.

It seems that the "Cinnamon girl" is compared with the nymph at the top centre of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. .
[attachment=3943]

Proportions different.
Drawing style different.
Way of modeling the profile different.
Dee uses the pen in a more sketchy way.
Eyes quite different from ALL the VMS nymphs.

They're both human and female so obviously basic features will be the same, but otherwise, not much similarity.
Pages: 1 2