The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Goat milk in contemporary pharmacopaea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
A very exciting theme of a healthsome drink (btw, I took to it a couple of years ago!)

MSMurQ 12 folio 86v, entitled "von den brusten" (the title is on 86r):

[attachment=3835]

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Note how it's written in one word, and how "g" and "e" are joined together.

But "milch", not "mich". I've seen "milch" elsewhere in this MS, by another scribe, and again as "milch".
Well spotted Anton. I incidentally posted a sheeps milk in the other thread just now. 

I've seen "milch" and "milich" today, but no "mich" yet.
Where's that? Maybe let's combine the artiodactyles in one thread?

Ah got it. Mandelmilch. Do you have the scan or just the printed text? But Mandel is not sheep, is it?
I'm browsing the Middle High German Conceptual Database

As far as I understand it works with sessions and it's not possible to link search results. The example I meant is this:

From Die Kochrezepte der Konstanzer Handschrift A I 1 (KSA1), Absatz 9, Zeile 4, Nummer 1

- wiltu ain gebraten milch machen, so nim schäffin milch vnd aiger gelich

- - - 

I checked their database for spellings of "milch". There are dozens of different variations, and a total of 426 hits. Only one of those uses the spelling "mich":

From Daz buoch von guoter spise (Adamson) (DES2)

snit sie den twerhes veber so du kleines maht halt  die mandelmich veber daz fiuer laz sie warm werden wirf daz brot dar in
Out of their 64 hits for "geiz", and compounds and spelling variations, none drops the diphthong. By this I mean, all write two vowels, so nothing like "gas".
Quote:From Daz buoch von guoter spise (Adamson) (DES2)

snit sie den twerhes veber so du kleines maht halt  die mandelmich veber daz fiuer laz sie warm werden wirf daz brot dar in

That's very interesting.

About this book: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Do you know if "milch" is writen consistently as "mich" there?
UPD: This seems to be the link for the book, still downloading, it's about 1GB, and I need to run

Hmm are you sure that's the one? This is it but I haven't found a scan yet:
Ah I see what the problem is:

Quote:The German heritage of medieval written cooking recipes comprises 57 recipe collections that hold about 5000 recipes, the main area of tradition is the southern / Bavarian language area. Recipe tradition starts at about 1350 and has its peak in the middle and late 15th century. This number of recipes of course includes copies and duplicates. But within this Early New High German corpus of cooking recipes there are only two identical collections (München, Universitätsbibliothek, 2° Cod. ms. 731 – the so called buoch von guoter spîse – and its direct copy Dessau, Anhaltische Landesbücherei, Hs. Georg. 278.2°) as well as identical recipe groups with only moderate variation handed down in various manuscripts.

You found the original, but the attestation of "mich" is from the copy.

Anyway, according to the database, the copy has 2 attestations of "mandelmiLch" compared to the one "maldelmich". Apart from that, there are 23 attestations of "milch", one "milche" and one "milich". So if the transcription is reliable, it looks like the L was dropped only once.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. we discussed an occurrence of "mel mit gaismilch" pointed out by JKP in Buitzruss' Notebook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (1429).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5