The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: VMS - a holy book of the Romani people?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear Voynich- fans,

during the last weeks I have reviewed my former "linguistic theory", that the Voynich Manuscript could be written in Erromintxela.

And I have to say..... it isn´t the Erromintxela we know today, but (!) the VMS seems to have a Romani connection.

Why?

The Voynich astronomy seems to be star- based. Some of the stars of the folio 68r1 and r2 are marked with white or a black dots in the middle. Also we can see star- holding women in the Zodiac charts and in front of the passages in the recipe section. In the VMS we do have drawings of tent- like things full of stars, with a nail or a cross (christianity(?)) on its top.

1.) Today we don´t know very much about the Romani mythology, but we know they have connections to the Hinduism and maybe also to the Buddhism, because they originally came from India. In both religions the "Polaris" (which, if my reading is correct, in the VMS is called "hava" (Frenchgaffa / Old Norse: hadda = "nail")) plays an important role, as you can see in this German Wikipedia article ("Weltenberg"):

Sumbur heißt derselbe Berg bei den Mongolen, Sumur bei den Burjaten und Sumer bei den Kalmücken. Der sich drehende indische Weltenberg passt zur asiatischen Vorstellung einer Weltsäule, die wie eine Holzstange in der Zeltmitte bis zum Himmelsgewölbe ragt. Sie ist die vergrößerte Form eines Nagels, wie einige nordasiatische Völker den You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. nannten, weil sich um ihn in einer Kreisbewegung der Sternenhimmel dreht. In skandinavischen Sagen heißt dieser Drehpunkt veraldarnagli („Weltnagel“), die You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. sprechen vom bohinavlle („Nordnagel“). Wie die Säule ragt der Weltenberg bis zum Polarstern, er erstreckt sich also vom Erdnabel zum Himmelsnabel; und wie der Polarstern im Norden liegt, wird auch der Weltenberg im Norden vorgestellt. Inder verorten den Weltenberg in dem für sie im Norden gelegenen You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. und bringen ihn wie die Tibeter vorzugsweise mit dem heiligen Götterberg You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. in Verbindung. Die You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. wenden sich beim Gebet nach Norden, wo sie den Himmelsgott vermuten, die Buddhisten brachten gemäß einer Schilderung aus dem 13. Jahrhundert die nordwärts gewandte Gebetsrichtung mit nach Zentralasien. Der Polarstern, um den die Sterne ihre Kreise ziehen, steht üblicherweise – außer bei den You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. – über dem Sumeru. Bei den Kalmücken verbergen sich in einer sternlosen Nacht die Himmelskörper hinter dem Sumer.

2.) The Romani people also have mythological creatures called "Nivasi". They exist in male and female forms, but the female Nivasi are described as naked and with long hair and with red shoes, exactly as the VMS women (except: the red shoes):

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

3.) According to this source, the Romani people also do have a legend of the book of Dundra, which they tell us in the "Alako Legend". It´s a secret book, which explains the world. I do not say, that this is the Voynich Manuscript, but maybe the VMS is a result of this belief, especially if we think of the missing writing tradition of the Romani.

4.) Furthermore the fire plays an important role in their culture and they do have mermaids, which we can also see on page 79v in the VMS.

5.) The fire also plays an important role in the Zoroastrism. During the time between the 5th and 7th century, when according to the Shahnameh Legend the Luri and Romani came to the Sassanid Empire, the Zoroastrism was the main religion in this area. We can find two symbols of this religion on page 1r in the VMS which are connected to Atar (the angel of fire) and "ates" (the fire or the eternal flame). Also the Sassanid royal family were believing in the Anahita cult. A cult of a water goddess which was also the goddess of fertility.

6.) In the Zoroastrism you have six angels. If you link the three female angels and their attributes to the themes in the Voynich manuscript, you will see, that they fit very well.

7.) What does not really seem to fit with these findings is something which I can not identify for sure, but if my reading and the readings of Stephen Bax is correct, there could be a "Taurus" cult in the manuscript. Taurus is shown at folio 68 r3 and "Taurus" is also labeled at the upper left of the chart on folio 57 v, maybe as the beginning of the year in the VMS culture. 

8.) In addition to that, there is a connection between the most important star at folio 68 r1 (today: Arcturus) and the star "Elnath" in the constellation of Taurus. When Arcturus reaches the zenith, Elnath "dies", which is happening near to the dates of Beltane (or Ostara) and to the time the sun is wandering through the constellation of Taurus. Is that a reference to the Roman- Persian Mithra- cult? Think back, the Zodiac calendar is a Roman Calendar! 

9.) But there is even a fourth calendar in the manuscript, which could lead together with the calendars at 68 r1 and at 57 v (which starts on Beltane) into another direction. The calendar of folio 67 r1 starts with the winter´s solstice followed by the months called "Al- Paraton" (December) and "Eponas" (January)

Could it be that there are even Celtic influences in the VMS? Epona was a well- known Celtic goddess of the horses which was adapted by the Romans. If this true which 9 heavens does the Rosette page 86 shows us? The nine heavens of the Hinduism or of the Northern Europeans?

These questions were wandering through my mind for the last weeks. Until I found a possible solution...

What if the Romani people leave Chorasan and Bakhtria during the 5th century and went to the Southern Caucasus region and Galatia (where the Galatian tribes (Celts) live at that time? Is there any evidence for or against that? According to the Shahnameh legend the Romani people have to leave the Sassanid kingdom, but did they really do this? 

If the VMS originally comes from this time and was written in Galatia, the VMS, we know today, must be an extended copy of the original! But, if my reading of 116v is correct, who brought it to Navarra and when?

Do you have any ideas?  Angel
Quote:Gavin: ... 2.) The Romani people also have mythological creatures called "Nivasi". They exist in male and female forms, but the female Nivasi are described as naked and with long hair and with red shoes, exactly as the VMS women (except: the red shoes):...

To me the length of the hair of the VMS nymphs appears to be meaningful. There appears to be a distinction between the ages of the nymphs, with the length of the hair being part of that. Long hair may also refer to specific people (as it frequently does in medieval illustrations). Many of the nymphs do not have long hair.
eh, a lot of things you wrote are not rigidly related.
I did extensive language research in 2016 on the Romani dialects and ethnological background.
If you are interested it is here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.