The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Online harassment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that I received a very crude, threatening, and anti-Semitic message last week from a fake Facebook account (no photos, no friends, no messages, just the name "Tom Berenger", almost certainly a pseudonym) specifically referencing my public critiques of Cheshire's work. I reported the message and the account to Facebook and blocked the account. I have no idea who set up the account and sent the message, but I just wanted to let this community know that it happened. I know this is a place where everyone strives to be respectful and courteous, even in disagreement, something I know we all appreciate. I think we can all agree that such anonymous and ad feminam harassment is truly out of bounds.

- Lisa
Sorry to hear that happened to you. Of course it is out of bounds. There is ambiguity to be debated but i can see no place where threats or harassment has a place in such discussions. I hope it does not recur.
Dear Lisa,

this is sad.
It seems to be an 'internet thing', where people are not aware they are talking to other human beings.
I could give you some other rather disturbing examples, but not through this public forum.

I have been at a loss how to respond in some cases, but my employer (who has also been implied ...) took it rather lightly.

Best wishes,
Rene
Wouldn't be the first time C. comes to his own defense using a pseudonym...
I am both shocked and disappointed.

If it was Cheshire himself who did it, it's a rather disturbed and disturbing way to deal with criticism.

Sorry it happened to you, Lisa and I hope it doesn't happen again.
Very sorry to hear this.
As JKP and Koen G said, it is most likely him.
He posted comments to an article on ciphermysteries that was critical of his theory, as "Rick Sheeger".
That pseudonym was a near-anagram of his name. I wonder about why he chose Tom Berenger. Does he imagine himself as the actor from Platoon?
Rolleyes
I hope he will stop this nonsense.
It is very sad to hear what happened to you Lisa. It is truly out of bounds, of course

Best wishes. I sympathize with you

Antonio
This behaviour is unacceptable. Online harassment and threats against women in particular have reached epidemic proportions and must be called out whenever they occur.
It is sad that such things happen on the internet these days. I wish you that such an attack does not happen again.
So sorry to hear of this Lisa.
He obviously has some serious internal dilemmas effecting his capacity to take critique, and feels the need to lash out.
Pages: 1 2