The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: f46v/47r ink transfers or erased drawing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone,
as I was browsing the newly restored Folio browser function (thank you for that, David!) I noticed something about folios 46v and 47r.
At first I supposed the faint lines could be transfers from the opposite page, as the general shape seems very similar.
But when I flipped the 47r image of these lines to compare it to the 46v drawing, I realized it is actually not an exact match. Could these be erased lines?
I wonder if anyone has looked into this or has an opinion about it.
Could the artist have begun drawing the 46v plant on 47r and then changed his mind? Or are these just ink transfers?
[Image: 46v47r.png]
The two top shapes look like the calyxes of flower heads. The same sort of flower as 46v.
Thanks VViews,

without a doubt, the blue paint on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. has been transferred onto f47r. This can be checked easily.
As far as I can remember, the majority of all paint transfers has been of the blue paint.

In this case, one side is language A hand 1, and the other language B hand 2.

If the mixing of A1 / B2 pages was a confusion, this confusion must have happened before the blue paint was applied.
I totally agree that it looks like it should match up, the calyxes are very similar. But not identical.
That's my point.
If you look at the details, they don't really match.

Compare the two versions of the lower one:
[Image: calyxes.png]

The lines are fainter on the top calyx so it makes for a poor illustration, but the difference is clear there too, and especially visible on the right side of the calyx:

[Image: topcalyx.png]
I think it does match, not the blue per se but an earlier outline with the bluey green that you can see at the edge of the blue. Move the right side of the comparison down a little, then it matches. Compare the tip that meets the bottom line of the stem , it is about the height of a short glyph difference. It was then later topped again with greeny blue, and did not stay within the lines at all times, and more points were added.
A few years ago, I carefully examined these prints by overlaying (by layers) a mirror image of the notch of three prints of page 47r on the original 46v. The coordinates of the relative position of the three prints coincided with the original (with a slight angular correction relative to the vertical).
Another point about these pages.
If you combine these pages, guided by the contamination at the touch of a page (the blue rectangle - is a modern binding), all the prints are 47r shifted upwards relative to the original by about 4 mm.
From this we can conclude that the drawings of the contours of the colors were done before stitching Q6 (the bifolios were shifted vertically when nesting into each other), or drawn, with the possible pre-existing linking.
[font=Arial, sans-serif][attachment=3051][/font]
I agree with Wladimir: the overlap with the outer contour of the blue paint seems quite good. Assuming that the bifolios were not sewn  yet, one should also allow for a minimum of rotation.
Thanks everyone, I guess you must be right.
Now that I think about it, this is actually very similar to the thread I had posted about 68v1. 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. too, I was thrown off by the fact that blue paint transfer only reflects the outline, not the full shape. 
I am curious about this.
Why does the shape of outlines in blue paint transfer, and not the rest? With green paint, the infill seems to transfer just as well. Why is it only the outlines for blue?
I have a suggestion that the blue pigment activates the long ago dried ink, makes the place of the ink and blue pigment overlay aggressive and less quick-drying. As a result, only the ink circuit is printed.
I see, Wladimir, and that seems like a good explanation, but based on the closeups in my first post, and the image put together by Marco, it doesn't seem to match up.
The blue paint outline that transfered seems distinct from the blackish ink outline. It does overlap in some places, but not as a consistent line.
Pages: 1 2