The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Crowdfunding a proteomic analysis ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In 2018 it was reported in this article in the New Yorker You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.   how in 2011 the team of P.G. Righetti from the University of Milan did a proteomics study of an ancient Bible (which came from China, and had been attributed by some to Marco Polo). Now, to quote the New Yorker :

Quote:After running the samples through a mass spectrometer, Righetti and his team identified eight biomolecules from the Bible, which had been thought to be made from fetal lambskin. But the proteins belonged to cows, proving that the parchment was vellum—made from vealskin—and indicating, along with evidence from the text, that it was probably made in southern France sometime before 1250.

The actual scientific paper is here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Nowadays more researchers are working in this new field of paleoproteomics. Here is a review paper from 2018 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

So I am wondering : what are the prospects of crowdfunding both a DNA  and a proteomics analysis of some (ideally all) folios of the VM ? By which I mean : how much do these analyses costs, and who might be willing to contribute ? Just to see if a handful of individuals could match that, or if more wealthy donors would be required.

It might not be too difficult to convince a team of academics to do the job if they were provided the funds on a plate, and it definitely looks like the results of such a study, and a comparison with other XVth century manuscripts (including the most promising herbals and zodiacs), would clearly pinpoints things to a considerable extent.
Actually is a great idea.
I agree that it is a great idea.

I think I know Righetti by reputation too, I think in the 80's he wrote an outstanding textbook on isoelectric focussing.

He seemed an enthusiastic, affable and practical sort of fellow who could be open to such a proposal and possibly also able to provide some useful background information.

Edit: Not just one but many textbooks
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

The link has a photo of the author.