The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Voynich at Histocrypt, June 23-25, Belgium
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
For those able to attend, don't forget about the upcoming HistoCrypt Cipher Conference in Mons, Belgium. It will be June 23 through 26th. The programme and information, including suggestions of accommodations, are now up on the site:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Unfortunately there won't be a dedicated Voynich segment, but close to it: René Zandbergen and Guisseppe Bianchi will be "representing" the Voynich Manuscript between about 11:30AM and 12:30PM on Tuesday the 25th.

If it were closer to me I would attend, but I am in the USA of course (and my paper was rejected, so I won't be speaking). For those in Europe it may very well be worth it, not only for the Voynich talks, but of course for the other interesting historical cipher discussions. And you never know when the knowledge of some area of cipher will pay off in the VMs arena, too...

If anyone from the Ninja's does attend, I'm sure everyone would love a synopsis of the event.

Rich SantaColoma.
Thanks, Rich. I could attend, theoretically, but with Stencilman being chosen to fill the limited Voynich time, I don't really see the point. This doesn't reflect too well on the event.
Ah but Rene also got half an hr:
"René  Zandbergen:  No  news  about  the  Voynich  MS?"
Koen! By the way I loved your Cheshire blog post. I shared it on the Voynich Net, having written,

"First of all, for those who do not know Koen, he is one of the nicest and most patient Voynich bloggers. So the humor and sarcasm in his post about Cheshire/Sheeger's paper is an indication as to how far Cheshire can push a person.

"And it is really funny... one of the best takes on just how ridiculous this whole thing is."

Anyway, as for Bianchi... most know, he knows of course, that I don't believe any part of his stencil theory or translations and so on, are remotely possible... technically or otherwise. Not possible to create stencils that small, certainly at the time, no evidence or motivation of it being used, and so on.

But still, if it were easier (and cheaper!) for me to attend, I'd love nothing more than to hang out at the lunch just after their talks, and discuss the pros and cons of both their theories. Certainly be "a fly on the wall" to listen to that discussion.

But the event itself is still worth it, I believe. I always attend the Washington NSA Historical Cipher Conference, even in years there is no Voynich discussion at all... that is about a 5 hour drive for me, and two nights in a cheesy hotel. Can't fly to Belgium, though... a bit more than that.

If anyone is able to attend HistoCrypt, or even, videotape the talks... René's or Bianchi's, or both, I'd certainly love to see them. Or better yet, that lunchroom chat which will transpire...

Keep up the good work, Koen, you know I love your blog...

All the best,

Rich.
Koen writes,

Quote:Ah but Rene also got half an hr:

"René  Zandbergen:  No  news  about  the  Voynich  MS?"

Yes, they are back to back, with lunch just after. I had been told that HistoCrypt was originally hoping to have a "Voynich Track", which would have been great for them, and the community. I think René's invite was a sort of "seed" to that end. But they only ended up getting a smattering of Voynich-themed proposals, including mine, and rejected them all except for Bianchi's.

Whether or not they agree with me and others on the value of my hypothesis... and several on the committee certainly don't*... I think it might have been a good idea to have a more diverse range of views to the ones which were chosen. I'm a great proponent of open discussion, because I feel it is the best way to ensure all possibilities are known and considered. But then, it is not our decision, of course...

Why the two they did pick? You would have to ask them.

Rich.

* One committee member has openly stated that forgery is not possible, period; while another is involved with the sales of a recent, very expensive Voynich replica. People don't pay good money for replicas of forgeries. But I don't know the views of all committee members, except, perhaps, for their choosing to pay for a speaker who promotes the genuine theory.
(24-05-2019, 03:30 PM)proto57 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view."...an indication as to how far Cheshire can push a person."

I won't deny the accuracy of this statement  Wink
Given the timing, maybe Rene will need to address Cheshire as well?
I'm sure it will come up. But see what I mean? You are itching to join the discussion, yourself... as am I. You ought to go for that reason alone.

Not telling you what to do... but I'll bet you would have a great time.

Rich.
Thanks for the reminder about the conference, Proto57, I had completely forgotten about it!
Also:
The link didn't work for me.
In case anyone is having the same problem, this one works:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
I'm debating whether to go or not...
It would be nice to see ReneZ present, although I feel sorry for him as he will probably get inundated with Cheshire questions in the Q&A.
But really, 85euros + travel expenses just to see "Stencilman" reprise what he has already told us in his many interventions on the forum:
THE BEINECKE ILLUMINATI ARE REFUSING to release the 64trillion DPI scans that PROVE his theory!
Bah!
SEND MONEY SO HE CAN BUY GOLD STENCILS!

Yeah I don't think so.
Mons looks like an interesting place though: it has two rivers named Hate and Fear (La Haine & La Trouille).
Well I'm of the school that although most of us agree on Voynich issues large and small, we can all get together for our mutual interest. Both Mr. Zandbergen (hi!) and Mr. Bianchi (hi!) know I have strong doubt about both their theories, but still I would hope to count them among my friends. And in fact they both have more in common with each other, than either does, with me... in that they both think the Voynich genuine, and old.

I don't hold that against them (Just kidding! But I don't... ). I think it is great when anyone can put their differences aside, and sit down and have a civil debate. Maybe that will happen here, with you and others, who knows... Mr. Bianchi, for all his very strong views, seems to be a very nice and gracious man.

On the other hand, Mr. Zandbergen... OK just kidding, again. I still remember like yesterday when Mr. Z, Rafal, Nick, Klaus Schmeh, Philip Neal, Dennis Stallings, and others... all with very diverse ideas, many of whom argued voraciously on the web... yet still really enjoyed pizza and wine at the Pinocchio in Frascati, in 2012. It always ends up like that... at all the cipher and Voynich get together I've ever been to, I've never seen any arguments that rose above the level of reasoned discussion.

As you know, my own theories raise much sturm und drang among many in the community... a great example was a guy who vowed to "punch me in the nose" for my ideas. But I met him at the talk by René and Bill Sherman at the Folger, in D.C., and he shook my hand, and we had a pleasant chat. No broken nose to be seen for miles.

Yes the web is a different matter... I suppose people feel somewhat anonymous. But I'd personally urge people to not let their disagreements with Mr. Bianchi to stop them from HistoCrypt... If the past is any indication, it might turn out to be more plus than minus.
Pages: 1 2 3