The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Medieval Manuscripts with Foldouts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A thread for examples of foldout folios from c. 1500 and earlier.

Here is one from c. mid-1400s, southern Germany (possibly Augsburg), a prognostication manuscript on vellum with several foldout pages:

[Image: 2014_CKS_01550_0005_007(an_astrological_...ted_m).jpg]

Christie's Lot 1550, 2014:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Some points of interest:
  • Clearly designed for portability (115 x 85mm), a little smaller than the VMS. Possibly created for someone who earned money as a fortune-teller?
  • Zodiac symbols are within roundels but are the more traditional style (e.g., nude male Gemini twins).
  • Connection between health, hygiene, and astrology.
  • Note that the charts are in Roman numerals, so it might be on the earlier rather than the later side of c. 1450.
There is a text with similar subjects: Edinburgh University Library, D.b.V.19 (also German).
This one is probably known to most Voynich researchers, the physician's folding almanac:

[Image: zodiacman.jpg]

Wellcome MS. 40 (15th century)

More info:

BNF Latin 5372, dated 1412, 4 foldouts: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

[attachment=8450]
Last weekend I was reading about this, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., The Chronica Majora (MS26)

[Image: 187554_767d9d6cd12141efbff11829466deec7~...s_4_2.webp]
(19-04-2024, 01:56 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Last weekend I was reading about this, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., The Chronica Majora (MS26)

[Image: 187554_767d9d6cd12141efbff11829466deec7~...s_4_2.webp]

That is a map with foldouts. I don't know if there is much precedence for maps being produced on foldout manuscripts.
It's interesting that Jerusalem is shown from a different perspective than the other cities, and it is rather square.
There are other ”square Jerusalems”
In this the ”pipes” are interesting: 

[Image: r.16.2_054_r.16.2_025v.jpg]
Yeah that's a good one. The "pipes" are the artist's attempt to draw the twelve foundations of New Jerusalem in twelve different stones:

I found the square Jerusalem here interesting, because they mean the actual city, but clearly infuse it with the Biblical description of New Jerusalem. It is probably drawn in a different perspective from the other cities on the map to show that it it a perfect square.
I think this starry sky was just too big. That's why I folded it.

300 years and the same picture.