The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: VM Zodiac figures in 15th century Italian painting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (1423)

[attachment=2406]

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (1438)

[Image: 934px-Pisanello_018.jpg]
Off-topic, but I can't help remarking... I don't know who was spreading around his or her "art" genes in Italy in the 15th century (obviously da Vinci and a number of others got a substantial dose), but wow, they really could draw.
Yeah it's quite remarkable. In fact all of the most famous Italian painters weren't even born yet when these were made.
Paintings like these clearly illustrate why this style is known as You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. Smile
Interestingly, Ulrike Spyra writes about the copies of "Buch der Natur" from the workshop of Diebold Lauber (1440's), that these works were clearly made for rich customers. The books are much larger than all previous copies of the Buch der Natur, and were the first that were illustrated.

However, the illustrations are made by pen ("Feder"), coloured in afterwards.
While this might be considered "inexpensive" or less luxurious, she points out that this was still the preferred style in Germany. Reading the link from Marco, it seems that only Bohemia was happy to adopt the international gothic style.
(28-09-2018, 08:33 AM)MarcoP Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Paintings like these clearly illustrate why this style is known as You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. Smile

Yes! That's how I came to these paintings, through another non-Italian artefact in the international gothic style. Blog post should go up later today.
Man wearing a chaperon drapped as a turban, circa 1425, by You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. He became only 26 years old, was in his early 20's when he made this.

[Image: Masaccio_032.jpg?fit=787%2C1024]