The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: f22r - awkward shading?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I came across a 14th century You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. of Noah in the vineyard from the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. in Kosovo. The frescoes are called a fine example of Byzantine renaissance style.

The way the stem of the plant is drawn reminds me of the style of a herbal manuscript we discussed a while back, but I'm unable to remember which one at the moment.
Anyway, that's not the point. What drew my attention was the way the grapes are drawn. In the thumbnail it looked like Noah was handling strange, otherworldly "pods" filled with some kind of bubbles. 

[attachment=2263]

Here's a full size detail so you can see what's going on, next to the "pods" from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. . 

[attachment=2264]

It appears like the fresco uses an unusual form of shading, dividing the grape bunches in half and coloring only one side. Based on this evidence, I would suggest the possibility that the VM in fact uses precisely the same style of "shading", but because of the atrocious quality of the paint job we are unable to recognize it as such.