The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Is this a humanoid?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is something I discussed many, many years ago. Nobody came up with a conclusive answer. So here it is again : is this a humanoid face in the bottom right of the rosettes?

[Image: image.jpg?q=f86_ins_ros-1316-1168-291-266]
I don't think so. I see how it would give that impression, but I don't believe it's intentional.
Also, I find the label there interesting. Is it orar space m ?
That m glyph is rare: Voynichese.com records only 11 occurrences outside of the Rosettes folio, and it is one of the unusual You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. characters that seem to stand alone.
It is always line final. And here it seems extra large.
(16-07-2018, 10:52 PM)VViews Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I don't think so. I see how it would give that impression, but I don't believe it's intentional.
Also, I find the label there interesting. Is it orar space m ?
That m glyph is rare: Voynichese.com records only 11 occurrences outside of the Rosettes folio, and it is one of the unusual You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. characters that seem to stand alone.
It is always line final. And here it seems extra large.

No way. I don't know which transcript Voynichese.com uses but there are more than 1,000 instances of m and they are not always line final. They are USUALLY word final, and frequently line final, but not exclusively so, and they can also occur within tokens.

Look at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. where there are several instances on a single page. I wouldn't quite call it common, but it is frequent. There are even more if you include the curved version that resembles Latin -cis rather than -ris.
Sorry JKP, I should have been more specific.
You are correct of course that there are many more occurences of m. I was referring to m as a standalone, as it is in this label.
Ah, yes, it is rare as a stand-alone. It is usually preceded by a or o.
I see right away what you mean David, but I don't think it's supposed to look like a face. There are "mouths" like that all over the manuscript. The "eyes" are actually part of a longer series of dots. And the nail in the coffin is that the "nose" is not drawn, it's a crack in the parchment.