The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Aries & Taurus: Two Artists in the Zodiac Section?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I only just recently found a 2016 post by JKP that compared the heads and noses of the two Aries, coming to the conclusion that they were drawn by different people, with clearly different levels of skill.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
I can't post images in the comments over there, so I figured I'd bring the discussion here.
I just wanted to add that the same can be observed about Taurus: the while Dark Taurus' head is pretty confidently drawn, the light Taurus is... rather unfortunate looking.
Like the two Aries, they have very different noses and eyes. Light Taurus has the same weird head tilt as Leo.

This makes me want to agree with JKP's observation that there are two artists at work here. I like JKP's idea that there was some sort of elder being called in for assistance. 
In both cases, it is the first animal that has a poorly drawn head, and the second one looks a lot better. Maybe the "senior" artist saw what had been done in the first Aries and Taurus, and seeing how awful they were, stepped in to finish the second ones? 
As JKP notes, the timeline for the process is hard to guess.

I'm not sure whether these remarks can be taken much further, or if anything else might suggest two artists at work for the other Zodiac roundels too.
Anyway, although I'm late to comment on this, I thought it should be given some space for discussion on the forum.
It's probably worth discussing, VViews. There are many parts of the manuscript I've barely studied and there may be other comparisons like this that are noteworthy that I (and others) haven't even explored yet.
Intriguingly, this means that if there were more than one artist, they were working off a template and were working to depict something concrete.