The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: What are these nymphs doing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
On the second pool of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. , it looks like the nymphs have a bit more character and dynamics going on than in your average "pool page". I added pink arrows for two nymphs with marked facial expressions, and green arrows where there seems to be some motion going on. 

I know that a few people are of the idea that these nymphs are just bathing and/or performing medical procedures, but are they? And why the angry faces? It almost looks like they are wrestling. What do you think?

[attachment=2075]
The expressions on the faces do look crabbier than on most other folios.
The bottom two you point out always made me think of Watsu exercises for pregnancy.
Of course, Watsu was only developed in the 1980's.
I don't think aquatic bodywork  for pregnant women was relevant in the middle ages?!

[Image: Cat_watsu2%20(44).smJPG.jpg]

ETA: I don't think the "angry" faces thing should be taken as an indication that anything aggressive is going on here. Keep in mind that in many medieval illustrations (such as the ones I posted You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ) people seem to be blissfully enjoying torture, while in marginal drawings, angry hairdressing sessions are a frequent thing.
Just another note to say that although I've been unable to find any medieval authors on hydrotherapy, this practice was actually pioneered by the ancient Romans.

The work of the ancient Roman authors, with special focus on the different treatments to be performed in hot and cold baths, is discussed in detail by Caelius Aurelianus in the 5thC AD in his Tardarum sive chronicarum passionum.

Caelius Aurelianus refers back to Ascelpiades, who prescribed the use of pensilia balinea, or hanging baths: "heated tanks of water possibly in a hanging cascade arrangement", in which rehabilitation exercises can be performed.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
I would discard the possibility of a woman giving birth accompanied by a physician, since all women in this drawing have a similar body structure. Unless it's some strange resort where pregnant women are sent to take care of each other  Big Grin 

But you are right to point out that some non-martial physical activity may be intended. The faces are really throwing me off.
Just for fun, some images from the aptly named Solothurner Fechtbuch, c. 1423:

[Image: sf17.JPG]

More here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

The pair on the left reminds me a lot of the "birthing" nymphs. Most of their wrestling looks more like dancing instructions though.
Just to be clear, I wasn't referencing birthing.
The practice I described (and the photo) is not about water birth, but about relieving pressure on the spine and joints for wellness and mobility. 
A good source on all of this, including Aurelianus' work, seems to be Licht, Medical Hydrology,1963, but I can't find a digital version.
Another You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. to Aurelianus says that: "Licht noted that Caeius Aurelianus gave very detailed descriptions of aquatic therapy, use of pulleys and suspension in maintaining range of motion, and use of assisted kinetic activities in patients with paralysis."

I'd be curious to find an online version of Aurelianus' work.
I wonder how much of that therapy might have been directed at (or inspired by) people who had been stricken with polio, for which there was no vaccine at the time. Children were particularly vulnerable, but it could infect people of any age.
A power struggle allegory maybe, Game of Thrones style? Wink

(20-04-2018, 11:46 AM)VViews Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I'd be curious to find an online version of Aurelianus' work.

Pages: 1 2 3