The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Herbal Nürnberg UER MS 2362 (1553)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Magnarum Medicinae partium herbariae et zoographiae imagines - UER MS 2362
by Georg Oellinger, Samuel Quichelberg
Shelfmark H62/MS 2362

A beautiful, image-only, illustrated manuscript. The artistic quality is excellent, yet several plants look weird, sometimes monstrous. I found the presence of a castle with swallow-tail merlons rather unexpected for the time and place of production.
Being more than one century later, the ms is unlikely to be terribly relevant as a VMS parallel, still those who appreciated ancient herbals will enjoy browsing through it.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Thanks, Marco. Always nice to see an illustrated herbal I didn't know yet. It's castle is so charming Smile

Also, which plant is the one with the goat? It does show some similarities with the little dragon.
(17-03-2018, 12:35 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.which plant is the one with the goat? It does show some similarities with the little dragon.

It is labelled "Gallega sive Rutha Capraria" (Galega aka "goat's rue") - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. Even if the ms mostly is "modern" and "scientific" in style, it still includes some symbolic elements, like this out-of-scale goat and an You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (img 594).
Very nice! And the plants easy to recognize.
"Gallega sive Rutha Capraria"
Hence the goat motif - the handy little iconic device distinguished it from other similar plants in an unequivocal way.
Any plant called dragon's rue? Big Grin
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., I assume, is the one we are talking about?
That page is unavailable for me.
Strange. Anyway, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. has much the same info.
Quote:The genus name is believed to derive from the Greek terms for milk (gala) and goat (aigos) because You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. believed that it You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. in livestock when eaten.You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. The English name "goat's-rue" is a translation of the Latin Ruta capraria, used for the plant in 1554 when it was considered to be related to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., or common rue.You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. Galega bicolor is a synonym.
(17-03-2018, 03:29 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Any plant called dragon's rue? Big Grin

There is a plant called Ruta canina and I suppose the strange critter's ears could be interpreted as hare's ears. Unfortunately, hare's rue looks nothing like the plant the dragony critter is nibbling/smelling (it has pinnate serrated leaves and flower spikes).