The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Gaps in the Historical Record
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Not a pleasant topic, but significant to anyone trying to fit together historical puzzle pieces, many of which have been lost.

Lisbon Palace Library:

Wikipedia has a list of destroyed libraries:

Provenance and History - I'm hoping this enquiry fits.

If the Vm was written as a travelling journal, and it looks rough enough to have served that purpose, has anyone ever drawn a geographical representation of the (generally) accepted facts, a map, from beginning to end?
Peteb,

It's interesting that you suggest it was a travelling journal. I don't know how long that idea has been around, or versions of it, but although it seems logical (first associated with a Franciscan and then said to have come to Prague in the possession of an anonymous 'traveller'/messenger),  I found that my saying I thought it a compilation made for a travelling profession didn't meet cries of joyous recognition in 2010.

Maybe more people think the same now, which would be nice. 

Mapping the content's range: interesting problem because while mapping always looks good it's sometimes like advertising; you have to know enough already to recognise what is left out  - and why.

e.g. a map showing all the Roman baths in Armenia would really only tell you that someone supposes the 'bathy-' section's pictures are meant literally  and not metaphorically or allegorically, and that their theory is about Roman-era Armenia. Smile
An interesting article on medieval portolan charts that includes the fate of some of the charts that didn't survive:

"Portolan Charts from the Late Thirteenth Century to 1500" by Tony Campbell, 1987 University of Chicago Press
Haven't had a chance to read it all yet but looks to be a great resource. Thanks!