The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Why does Beinecke do this?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A post from Beinecke just appeared on my facebook feed, and I keep being surprised at the confidence with which they claim unverified or wrong things. 

Central Europe? Why? Why not Spain or Sicily or England for all I care? But okay, that's one thing, central Europe is a vague term.
But why don't they update the date range? I thought we could be relatively certain about early 15th century?

[attachment=1588]
Probably a social media marketer with little understanding of the subject.
(17-08-2017, 08:56 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.A post from Beinecke just appeared on my facebook feed, and I keep being surprised at the confidence with which they claim unverified or wrong things. 

Central Europe? Why? Why not Spain or Sicily or England for all I care? But okay, that's one thing, central Europe is a vague term.
But why don't they update the date range? I thought we could be relatively certain about early 15th century?

That's pretty outdated information.

We don't know it was Central Europe. Certainly there are Central European influences and it MIGHT be central Europe, but it could have been produced in Naples or Greece or Turkey, or the Levant or Morocco or Sweden or, as Koen points out, Spain, Sicily or England. And yes, they should update the date range, since the radiocarbon dating and the consistency of the material with the carbon dating are pretty good.
I think the matters stand as follows. If I'm not mistaken that's what stated in the MS description on their website (hence in their catalogue as well) - probably since the time before the carbon dating. Until they update their official info, they'll continue to spread this outdated version, because it's official.